I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here - 2023

(05-12-2023, 11:53 AM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  And i hope itv knock off this idea of inviting youtubers to the series. They’re not celebrities, unless they’re people like Dan Middleton who are very well known and have been on the news several times. I use youtube a lot, and have done since 2009, but I have never heard of Nella Rose, and her youtube channel is literally dead lol [the last upload was more than 2 years ago, she seems to be more active on instagram but she only has a million followers there]. If itv wants [what i’m going to call] influencers on the show, it needs to go with people who are likely to be actually known to a relatively large audience, and not niche random people most of us probably have never heard of.

I've never heard of Dan Middleton either.   It's not about how many follow them though - it's about who might follow them and whether that might bring in an audience yo the show who wouldn't usually watch.   Therefore if using social media stars there is a logic to using those who are less mainstream.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • eyeTV, SuperSajuuk

You both make valid points re social media stars being more likely to be invited. I raised Dan as an example since he’s the largest British YouTuber [28 million subs] who hasn’t moved abroad [other british youtubers have existed, but many of them ended up moving to the US once they got to any level of popularity on the site]. I would argue that this makes him a much better candidate to be in the show than Nella Rose [no offence to her, but i legit don’t know who she is or what she does lol], only because he is more likely to be known due to his extremely large audience. He was also in a BBC News article earlier this year about his rise to fame, so would have likely generated an audience by himself: www.bbc.co.uk 

My only point of contention is that if they are going to ask YouTubers to be part of the programme, that they should only be labelled as such if they actively use the platform. Calling someone a YouTuber when they last uploaded a video 2 years ago doesn’t feel right to me, since they are no longer actually using the platform. Maybe Social Media Star would have made more sense as a title than “YouTuber” but i am pedantic on this LOL

Either way, if social media influencers will be more likely to be on the programme, then it would be good if they were somewhat more widely known, but it depends on what audience ITV are trying to attract to the programme in terms of inviting an influencer to participate [ie if they invite X influencer, which audience are they targeting with that person being there?]

Nella Rose, while not my cup of tea, has a large TikTok following as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mike's post:
  • Brekkie, SuperSajuuk

It’s just like with strictly, they try and cast from every area to attract viewers, and social media star is one box they both always tick
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Brekkie, SuperSajuuk

(05-12-2023, 01:59 PM)Mike Wrote:  Nella Rose, while not my cup of tea, has a large TikTok following as well.

Probably explains why i know nothing about her i guess lol. I simply don’t use Tiktok. I had my hands burned with the site earlier this year, when a malicious user signed up using one of my email addresses and TikTok Support refused to understand my GDPR request to delete the data and ban the email from being used again LOL

I presume the reason Nella has been included is because she has a budding TV career with Catfish UK and a Channel 4 digital series.

DanTDM, by contrast, has done a Sky Kids series - but it's largely connected to what he does via streaming.

(05-12-2023, 11:53 AM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  the only person in this camp i know this year was Farage, literally everyone else is an unknown, and thats concerning really.

I suppose it's possible you've never watched horse racing, boxing, The X-Factor, or Hollyoaks, but I don't think that's typical of a 30-year-old.
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Brekkie, SuperSajuuk

(05-12-2023, 02:50 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  I presume the reason Nella has been included is because she has a budding TV career with Catfish UK and a Channel 4 digital series.

DanTDM, by contrast, has done a Sky Kids series - but it's largely connected to what he does via streaming.

I suppose it's possible you've never watched horse racing, boxing, The X-Factor, or Hollyoaks, but I don't think that's typical of a 30-year-old.

Funnily enough i have actually watched X-Factor in the days when it was decent [before it started changing the format every year], though i have never watched horse racing [mainly for the gambling bad rep it has], boxing [because i never had access to it on tv anyway and its also an extremely violent “sport”] or Hollyoaks [because i never reallt grew up with that in my teenage years]. You’re right that this isn’t really typical of a 30-year old though.

A pet peeve of mine is people thinking they are the sole party to define who is a celebrity. These days you can actively decide what media you do and don't want to see very easily, leading to some people generating huge followings but being left unnoticed by the general public. It's a similar issue to people who think the BBC should spend "their" license fee on what they exclusively like!
[-] The following 5 users Like JT95's post:
  • Alessi, Brekkie, eyeTV, Larry the Loafer, strollfan

(05-12-2023, 03:02 PM)JT95 Wrote:  A pet peeve of mine is people thinking they are the sole party to define who is a celebrity. These days you can actively decide what media you do and don't want to see very easily, leading to some people generating huge followings but being left unnoticed by the general public. It's a similar issue to people who think the BBC should spend "their" license fee on what they exclusively like!

I've tried to change my own behaviour in relation to this after hearing my dad complain about "nobodies" on TV despite them having a fairly decent profile. I tend to look up anyone I haven't heard of and see if they're famous for a "worthy" reason. An actor who's been in a popular TV show that I happen to not watch, fair enough. A YouTuber with less than a million subscribers, that's when I raise an eyebrow.
[-] The following 2 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • JT95, SuperSajuuk

In the case of Nella she has presented TV/Radio so don't know why they have called her a YouTuber.

Brit Awards red carpet, a BBC podcast and presenter on Catfish UK for MTV. I did have to look it up though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • SuperSajuuk