ALL Bauer Radio Stations to Leave Satellite and Virgin

radiotoday.co.uk 

I presume then that on Virgin they only appear as EPG slots on TiVo boxes as they don’t show on my 360 box.

I wonder if this will prompt changes to the Box Plus channels?

The end of an era for Absolute, née Virgin Radio which has been on satellite since the early 90s. In those days of course it was the only way you could get it on anything other than Medium Wave

(29-11-2023, 02:08 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  The end of an era for Absolute, née Virgin Radio which has been on satellite since the early 90s. In those days of course it was the only way you could get it on anything other than Medium Wave

I used to rig up my HiFi system to my Pace Apollo receiver so I could listen to Virgin. It really had the best processing.

That does bring back memories. I think the radio stations were each linked to a specific TV channel like Living TV?

When I was involved the campus radio station at university we used Virgin 1215 as the sustaining service and took the audio off Astra satellite.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omnipresent's post:
  • London Lite

(03-12-2023, 12:47 AM)Omnipresent Wrote:  That does bring back memories. I think the radio stations were each linked to a specific TV channel like Living TV?

When I was involved the campus radio station at university we used Virgin 1215 as the sustaining service and took the audio off Astra satellite.

From what I remember, Radio 1 used the secondary audio channels of (UK) Living. BBC stations from what I recall used Flextech channels to stream their channels.

(03-12-2023, 04:27 AM)I’m London Lite Wrote:  From what I remember, Radio 1 used the secondary audio channels of (UK) Living.  BBC stations from what I recall used Flextech channels to stream their channels.

It may have changed in later years but it started out on the subcarriers of UK Gold. Lots of detail here in the great resource that is the ENG INF:
www.bbceng.info 
[-] The following 2 users Like Isonstine's post:
  • London Lite, WillPS

It certainly changed after that was published as I remember stereo for R1 and 2 at least. The World Service remained mono throughout.

Sadly it’s not new for Bauer to remove stations.

I remember that a few of the Scottish Bauer stations (Clyde 1, Tay FM etc) were available on Freeview and they were removed from there as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary McEwan's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(03-12-2023, 08:07 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  Sadly it’s not new for Bauer to remove stations.

I remember that a few of the Scottish Bauer stations (Clyde 1, Tay FM etc) were available on Freeview and they were removed from there as well.

There was only one Freeview slot which was originally 3C, a country station. When SRH was sold to Emap (now Bauer) it became Clyde 1.

(03-12-2023, 04:27 AM)London Lite Wrote:  From what I remember, Radio 1 used the secondary audio channels of (UK) Living.  BBC stations from what I recall used Flextech channels to stream their channels.
Yes, they used UK Gold and UK Livings audio subcarriers, those being the neareest the BBC had to satellite services in the analogue days. 

Radio 1 and 2 were stereo on one and the rest mono on the other (a stereo service taking up the equivalent of two monos). 

A lot of British channels had radio sub carriers, which were intended for language options (used by Eurosport and Euronews) IIRC Virgin was carried on Sky News 

The other notable station was Sunrise Radio. This was the London Sunrise station and was used by some radio stations (particularly RSL licenses) for their feed of IRN. The satellite feed muted for a couple of seconds before and after each bulletin so anyone taking it didn't get a snatch of their jingles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • London Lite