UKTV to become 'U'

(20-01-2024, 01:53 AM)Happy2001 Wrote:  Gold & Alibi commission original content, Eden (I don't think) does.

Eden also “lost” its HD version, replaced by Gold HD instead. So clearly they don’t regard Eden as premium any more.
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • Happy2001, Ma76, UTVLifer

It's because OFAH rates well and is staple in the channel's performance, despite how annoying the repeats can be.

While Gold's schedule at weekends is full of OFAH because not surprisingly it rates well, at least they're consistent with their schedule unlike some of the cheap and cheerful channels that schedule a show, then take it off after a few days because it doesn't rate well.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, Ma76, Superman1986

(20-01-2024, 02:23 PM)London Lite Wrote:  While Gold's schedule at weekends is full of OFAH because not surprisingly it rates well, at least they're consistent with their schedule unlike some of the cheap and cheerful channels that schedule a show, then take it off after a few days because it doesn't rate well.

ESPECIALLY when they highly promote it on newspapers and news media to try and hype up viewers but then replace it with another import.

I think that's one thing I like about UKTV, they never pull the rug under people's feet, they allow a show to run it's course regardless of viewership. Plus, they have a little more money with themselves than publicising how they got the rights to a show but inevitably never run it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Allanbuzzy's post:
  • benzj

(20-01-2024, 02:17 PM)dbl Wrote:  It's because OFAH rates well and is staple in the channel's performance, despite how annoying the repeats can be.

Well yes, although almost all of Gold’s content did not originate in HD.

Eden was one of UKTV’s first (if not the first) HD channel because it shows nature documentaries and other content which both benefits hugely from HD and originated in the format.

So to replace one with the other, except for viewing figures, makes no real sense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Superman1986

Gold isn't all OFAH. They make some great comedy documentaries and original programmes that nobody else would. As well as the standard fare in the daytime they have a great evening and late night line-up. Definitely adds a lot of value to my Virgin subscription.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 5 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • interestednovice, London Lite, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, Spencer

Plus they have been showing Desmonds at 7am for ages now

I've noticed that Gold can schedule some leftfield comedy in the late night slots as well.

In comparison to other channels that schedule the same show all day, Gold's OFAH marathons are short.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, interestednovice, Superman1986

Gold for me was mainly OFAH, some mothers do ave em, keeping up appearances, porridge. Harry Enfield. What killed it for me was the number of adverts they have, and the fact that a lot of it is now streaming. But mainly the adverts.

In terms of this rebrand. I think they should have gone back to UK Gold. U& seems bizarre and like an error.
[-] The following 3 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76, Superman1986

OFAH about the only Gold show I don't recall ever being shown on their free to air channels. Most of the rest of their schedule has turned up on Dave, Yesterday, Drama or now W.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice, JMT1985, London Lite, Ma76, Superman1986