UKTV to become 'U'

Isn't it about time they moved their sitcoms to Drama (maybe by renaming the channel) instead of keeping them to Yesterday, so that way Yesterday can become a "proper" documentary channel?

I understand commercial reasoning can't stand by my side, but it just would make things look more coherent, especially if they want to put even less emphasis on Eden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • Superman1986

I'm guessing Yesterday isn't seen as viable as a pure documentary channel, hence they throw in the comedy. I think some of it fits there better than Drama TBH.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Superman1986

I was thinking about something like Drama being reshaped as a general "TV series" channel, which sounds more ideal.

But obviously, it works better for them audience-wise, to have Yesterday as a semidocumentary channel

Yeah they could have more of a mix of both classic drama and comedy programmes, maybe even some old game shows or things like Top of the Pops. And it’d be a mix from all broadcasters so you could call it something like “Gold UK” maybe?

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(21-01-2024, 02:46 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Yeah they could have more of a mix of both classic drama and comedy programmes, maybe even some old game shows or things like Top of the Pops. And it’d be a mix from all broadcasters so you could call it something like “Gold UK” maybe?

U&G2 perhaps. Big Grin

Is it just Gold, Eden and Alibi now behind the paywall?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76

Yes, just Alibi, Gold & Eden are left as paywall channels.

Alibi is their main premium content channel, Gold is mainly the classic comedies & Eden is the most forgotten out of the set.
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76, UTVLifer

(21-01-2024, 02:46 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Yeah they could have more of a mix of both classic drama and comedy programmes, maybe even some old game shows or things like Top of the Pops. And it’d be a mix from all broadcasters so you could call it something like “Gold UK” maybe?
But the current GOLD is primarily a comedy channel, just as currently Alibi is a crime channel, not just a home for premium content.

They COULD potentially rebrand Drama into a FTA window for non-documentary adding comedy to drama, while keeping as a lifestyle channel, since obviously after the Discovery-BBC split, they don't directly own a lifestyle channel.
I wasn't suggesting to let Drama become Gold 2.

They could, but of course it was just a suggestion, I realize they might want to try a mix it all approach for Yesterday, as it works.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kunst's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76, Superman1986

(20-01-2024, 07:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  OFAH about the only Gold show I don't recall ever being shown on their free to air channels. Most of the rest of their schedule has turned up on Dave, Yesterday, Drama or now W.

That is right - it is because Only Fools is probably their biggest hit, is why they keep it exclusive to GOLD

(21-01-2024, 01:55 PM)Kunst Wrote:  I was thinking about something like Drama being reshaped as a general "TV series" channel, which sounds more ideal.
Isn't that what W is supposed to be?
[-] The following 3 users Like JAS84's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76, Superman1986

(21-01-2024, 07:00 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Isn't that what W is supposed to be?
I think you're right, I've checked the schedule and noticed more TV series than in the past

I thought it had gone "lifestyle"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • interestednovice