UKTV to become 'U'

It's also a shame given I think Dave was finally finding their feet with this recent new look of theirs - now they're going to have to adopt something that will most likely be ridiculously half baked.

Also - just wanted to test something and I can confirm uanddave.co.uk redirects to UKTV Play... so we're going to have lots URL and social handle gore like that. Great!
[-] The following 2 users Like orange's post:
  • benzj, callumwatchestelly

Like the changing of the seasons, the whole prefix/don’t prefix comes back around again.

I agree with what everyone's said. And no-one is going to call the channel ‘U and Dave’. ‘U&W’ is laughable.

Quote:For 30 years, UKTV has had shows that people are passionate about - crime, drama, witty comedy and more - but until now it’s felt disconnected.

Exhibit A:

twitter.com 

I’d say Lambie-Nairn did a pretty decent job in ‘97 that’s conveniently forgotten.

I see the cheesy social media posts from all the brands have appeared too (no doubt written by the same person minutes apart).

How much content is available on UKTV Play? It'll be a little disingenuous to say "Now on U&Drama..." if they don't have the rights to stream it.

(29-11-2023, 10:51 AM)radiorebel Wrote:  I can hear the echoes of UKTV G2 and UKTV Bright Ideas.

Bright Idea this most certainly is not!

I’ll give this a year before it’s quietly dropped.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scrotnig's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

Can I just say its rather funny that Siobhan Sharpe is currently the avatar picture for this thread!

When you want to put that kind of prefix, you severely limit yourself to what will work for a channel name. Even looking at their current names, what they will become, and what they could be if they stuck with their original names, the old "UK" ones just look a lot better and the connection is obvious (with a few updates/additions).

W - U&W - UK Family
GOLD - U&GOLD - UK Gold
Dave - U&Dave - UK Comedy 
Yesterday - U&Yesterday - UK History
Drama - U&Drama - UK Drama
Alibi - U&Alibi - UK Crime
Eden - U&Eden - UK Nature
UKTV Play - U - UK Play

The "U&" just looks weird, and stupid. Sometimes you don't have to reinvent the wheel, it's already in existence and works just fine.

Now I'm not suggesting they should ditch the Dave brand, but if they insist on putting a prefix in, UK Dave just wouldn't really work and be as awkward as U&W is going to be, so better to use a more descriptive term for the channel.

(29-11-2023, 02:08 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  TVS, like TSW, TVAM etc were never part of any legal entity that become owned by ITV  so never theirs to choose to keep.
Ah yes, of course you're right – didn't think of that. In which case I'm struggling to think of a former ITV Plc brand which has ended up used by someone else.

(29-11-2023, 03:03 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Ah yes, of course you're right – didn't think of that. In which case I'm struggling to think of a former ITV Plc brand which has ended up used by someone else.

Men & Motors is the only one that springs to mind...

either way, ew - they should've kept the UK(Name) convention from the 90s/early 00s
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael Power's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

I think it really is monkey see monkey do and it’s irritating. “Let’s unify all our channels! It’s important for their growth!” and then a few years down the line it’s the complete opposite for the same reason. What?

I really don’t get the fascination with it all. I would suggest having a portfolio of strong independent brands is the most important thing for a network of channels like this - you don’t see Paramount ever calling their channels “Paramount Nickelodeon” or “Paramount MTV” or any of that. Bleh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes orange's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

(29-11-2023, 03:03 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Ah yes, of course you're right – didn't think of that. In which case I'm struggling to think of a former ITV Plc brand which has ended up used by someone else.

I believe HTV and Carlton (yes, I know) are ITV plc names that have also been snapped up by people without them really trying to block it, so it has happened with some of the more recent brands. Somehow I have a vague recollection of seeing someone going after Yorkshire Television in recent times too, but I can't find anything from a quick Google. In the case of Carlton at least that's a name which they've not even edited off everything held in the archive, so one you'd think holds a bit more value!

Coincidentally all the trademark filings for UKTV look like they were only done on 24th November which also shows the planned logo designs of some of the other channels like Gold and Eden. So they may not have even been in long enough for anyone to object as they're still only marked as in 'examination'. They only seem to be covering the channel brands and not the overall player though that I can see.

site.tvwhirl.co.uk 
Web Image

Source:
trademarks.ipo.gov.uk 

TV Whirl - Since 2001