Mock The Week to end

The BBC have announced that 'Mock The Week' will be shelved after its upcoming series after seventeen years.

Dara (host) said:

"That’s it folks, the UK has finally run out of news. The storylines were getting crazier and crazier – global pandemics, divorce from Europe, novelty short-term prime ministers. It couldn’t go on. And so, regretfully, we are closing the doors on Dara and Hugh’s Academy for Baby Comedians. We just couldn’t be more silly than the news was already. Huge thanks to all our guests over the years, so many of whom went on to huge successes of their own, and never write or call. It was a joy!"

The final series will air this autumn.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DavidWhitfield's post:
  • Clean Feed

The show has felt a bit tired for a while. Expected the axe to fall before now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • The_IT_Technician, thomalex, TVenthusiasm

I must admit, I recall really looking forward to watching the programme back in 'its heyday' of the mid-00s / early-10s, but it has seemed a bit flat for a while.

The same faces on rotation and the same reworked jokes/categories in 'Scenes You'd Like To See' have led to it feeling a bit stale and predictable for me.

Can only agree that it seems about time.
  • Clean Feed

With the delay to the production of the series for this year, it did feel like it was very likely to be a show on the way out. Though I didn't expect to hear any such announcement made before the delayed-to-the-autumn series even happened.

Where are Dave going to find any new comedians for their pool of comedians for their own fresh shows now mind?

TV Whirl - Since 2001

For a programme that supposedly had a satirical bite, I can't remember a moment from the past few years that's been shared online. It does feel like they've wrung it dry.

(02-08-2022, 02:55 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  For a programme that supposedly had a satirical bite, I can't remember a moment from the past few years that's been shared online. It does feel like they've wrung it dry.

This is a very good point and I must admit I didn't even know it was still on! As a concept it could be rebooted but it's probably time for a new satirical panel show.

Does anyone know which was the last one to launch?

Well it's a shame, maybe bring back some old faces from the past, 17 or so series including frankie Boyle, Nish Kumar and Mr Howard.

Get dara, a mega bus drivers uniform for the last episode..

Surprised by this axing!
Have I got news for you has been past its best many years now but keeps going,
Mock the week is more funny fresher and gets axed.

BBC saying axing making way for new shows but again in a streaming future best holding onto the hit shows as harder to launch new hits now or go to TV outside live sport etc.

Hope itv, c4 or 5 or sky save the show

What a shame indeed, I really loved it, hope it gets saved

I expect the people who are most saddened by this announcement are the up-and-coming young comics who were hoping to use the show as a bit of a springboard in a similar way to the likes of Romesh Ranganathan, Ed Gamble, and the like.

As much as I found the show to be rather stale and repetitive in its later years, it certainly did its bit for giving exposure to young comedians and I expect there any many comics in this country who feel they have a lot to thank MTW for.
  • thePineapple