Channel 4 Christmas 2023

I don’t think its worthy of its own thread, but I note Father Christmas is on right now and for I believe the first time in 16:9 and HD, it’s usually shown in 4:3.

The Mog ident is definitely my favourite, as seems to be the case for everyone. Very well animated, lovely music and the repeating of just two scenes really works well - very pleasing loop. The whole thing really gives you a cosy Christmas feeling.

The street scene is in second place for me. Simple, but well done. It give me that cosy feeling too. Does anyone else get a bit of a retro vibe for some reason? Like I can imagine this airing in the '80s or '90s?

The box of baubles is in a disant last place. Just boring and bland to be honest. All of that cardboard - tattered and shadowy with wrinkled tape too - doesn't help either. I don't like the random twitching of something hidden beneath the baubles, although I do appreciate the "4" interacting with them. It's not a bad thing, but it feels a little E4-ish?
[-] The following 4 users Like MorganLamia's post:
  • Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, fanoftv, Jeff

(03-12-2023, 06:06 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  I don’t think its worthy of its own thread, but I note Father Christmas is on right now and for I believe the first time in 16:9 and HD, it’s usually shown in 4:3.

Yet weirdly The Snowman is still the pretty ropey looking copy with the weird David Bowie intro that was only supposed to be for American showings.

There does exist a HD remaster of The Snowman on iTunes etc - unfortunately it is also cropped - shame because it looks very nicely restored. Wish they would offer you the ability to choose which intro... I prefer the original Raymond Briggs intro myself. Really sets the mood for what's to come.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

I thought (probably wrongly) Father Christmas was made in 16:9.

Surprised they've never added a new intro for The Snowman. Would have been appropriate to do so for significant anniversaries.

Looking back at the bauble ident - I don’t quite like how the C4 logo floats on top of them and then also interacts with the baubles when it spins… seems a bit weird perspective wise. I think it would maybe work better if the baubles surrounding the logo a bit more? I’m not sure.

Still not hugely keen on everything that isn't the loop idents but The Mog ident is beautiful. I hope they do a Snowman/Father Christmas one at some point.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • Argyess, fanoftv

I hadn't heard they'd commissioned Mog's Christmas before seeing the trailer - and I'm absolutely delighted. The Tiger who Came to Tea was such a lovely feel-good adaptation, so I've got high hopes for this one too. Probably about time I dug our copy of the book out of the attic, for that matter...

(04-12-2023, 11:56 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Still not hugely keen on everything that isn't the loop idents but The Mog ident is beautiful. I hope they do a Snowman/Father Christmas one at some point.

This is where the looping could really work by just having one scene for each significant film and then adding another one to the loop each year for the new one, but a Snowman/Father Christmas combination would certainly feel futureproof and is far more associated with Christmas on C4 than Zog (or is it the Gruffalo?) and the BBC.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Andrew Wood, Jeff, Kim Wexler’s Ponytail, Spencer

I just wish channel 4 would stick to there Xmas presentation rather than using normal idents most of the day

Why? Channel 4 has for a long time now used its Christmas presentation only for Christmas-themed programming in the first couple of weeks or so of December. It is only as it gets closer to the day that is used more frequently.

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • Argyess, Brekkie, fanoftv, TVFan