The BBC - what's left to cut?

I’d agree with the idea of rebranding iPlayer as just BBC. We’re all pretty savvy here but I’ve heard older family members talk about watching Corrie or Emmerdale “on iPlayer”. They know it’s ITV and not BBC, but they use iPlayer as a term for all catch-up.

I’ve always thought it silly iPlayer and Sounds are separate. A single BBC app to include both plus News and Weather would be good I think.
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Roger Darthwell

This forum baffles me sometimes.

No one - literally no one though channel 4 calling their streaming channel 4 was a good idea - but iplayer becoming bbc would be?

The i in iplayer is dated - tell that to the iPhone?!?!?

What benefit would having the bbc weather app as part of iplayer have to anyone other than clutter and difficult nav?
[-] The following 11 users Like GraemeT88's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, ethanjbrady, GeekyJames, Hadrien, interestednovice, Scrotnig, stusoldvideo, Transmission, VMPhil

All4 becoming Channel 4 wasn't a good idea - the C4 brand is actually strengthened by it's sub brands and the brand Channel 4 doesn't work for a platform that isn't a channel and the reality has been it's basically had to brand itself C4 Streaming in order to differentiate itself from the actual channel.

It's a bit different with the BBC where it is important to emphasise the master brand and ensure people know BBC content comes from the BBC and increasingly content is promoted only as being on the iPlayer. Indeed arguable the chameleon rebrand is the first step towards that by substituting brands for icons.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • orange

(29-12-2023, 09:26 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  All4 becoming Channel 4 wasn't a good idea - the C4 brand is actually strengthened by it's sub brands and the brand Channel 4 doesn't work for a platform that isn't a channel

Are you sure? It makes perfect sense and has strengthened the brand IMO.

I used to have an app called All4 and now it says Channel 4. I go there to watch Channel 4 content. Much better
[-] The following 1 user Likes thomalex's post:
  • chrisherald

I think it has worked wonderfully for Channel 4, no need to continue with All 4, or with 4OD

As for why I think the iPlayer sounds a bit odd: not so much because of the fact it reminds of a Mac product (partly), it's just... strange?
There's no BBCi anymore, "i" doesn't mean anything these days
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • orange

(30-12-2023, 03:15 PM)Kunst Wrote:  I think it has worked wonderfully for Channel 4, no need to continue with All 4, or with 4OD

As for why I think the iPlayer sounds a bit odd: not so much because of the fact it reminds of a Mac product (partly), it's just... strange?

But it’s a highly recognisable and well-known brand, so for most people, that’s irrelevant. No-one really considers the origins of a name once they’re used to it. It’s like Jazz FM not being on FM, the Radio Times primarily being a TV listings magazine, and Carphone Warehouse not selling carphones. It just doesn’t matter once a brand is known and established.
[-] The following 10 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, bilky asko, chrisherald, DTV, GeekyJames, London Lite, Nobby, Roger Darthwell, VMPhil

(30-12-2023, 04:35 PM)Spencer Wrote:  But it’s a highly recognisable and well-known brand, so for most people, that’s irrelevant. No-one really considers the origins of a name once they’re used to it. It’s like Jazz FM not being on FM, the Radio Times primarily being a TV listings magazine, and Carphone Warehouse not selling carphones. It just doesn’t matter once a brand is known and established.
I agree with you, as I've stated before

I'm just saying "iPlayer" wouldn't exist and that the BBC would rather prefer something else, had it launched in 2023 (or somehow earlier)

But, don't get me wrong, it's quite recognizable and it is what it is
[-] The following 2 users Like Kunst's post:
  • chrisherald, Spencer

If it had launched this year, iPlayer probably would have been called something more “trendy”, like BBC Vision, to go with BBC Sounds.

It may have been easily confused with the old brand name BT Vision, but I doubt that would be a problem with BT having dropped that name long ago now and, increasingly, their focus being on the EE brand instead. So they probably wouldn’t have objected to “BBC Vision” being used.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald

(30-12-2023, 03:15 PM)Kunst Wrote:  I think it has worked wonderfully for Channel 4, no need to continue with All 4, or with 4OD

By that logic why name a streaming app ''Channel 4''? It's hardly future proof is it?

It's future proof and rather clever, the way I see it

It treats the streaming and the channel the same way, but of course everybody knows what they're watching.

It's not that confusing, especially as channels just mention "stream it now".
So on E4 you don't get "watch it on C4", and it doesn't take much to understand that E4 and More4 are core Channel 4 brands
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • strollfan