TV Predictions for 2024

My predictions for the year ahead:

Newsnight switches to truncated format after the election. It lasts 6 months.

BBC announces planned closure of BBC3, BBC4, CBeebies and CBBC. Children's programming will move to BBC2 Daytime and the channel becomes archive only from 4pm, save for live events like Glastonbury, The Proms & Wimbledon. The remainder of BBC2's original commissioning budget moves to BBC1 & iPlayer. BBC1 positioned as the premier / showcase channel for iPlayer.

BBC makes further cuts to radio & local programming. Regional TV news programmes lose individual weather presenters. Greater co-operation between Radio 4 News & Five Live. Local radio & Five Live to eventually merge. In spite of all this the BBC refuses to make obvious savings, like using regional TV news teams for stories on national bulletins.

ITV severs all ties with Simon Cowell.

Alex Mahon & Ian Katz both leave Channel 4.

Sky News announces a new daytime schedule with Kay Burley moving to mid mornings to focus on breaking news and a new breakfast show team.

Jeremy Kyle & Piers Morgan both leave TalkTV abruptly.

A news organisation finally does a deep dive on why all the main TV channels use the same pool of presenters, most of whom are represented by the same talent agency.

OFCOM orders all documentary makers to stop using the same filming techniques for contributors (pictured in a sparse dimly lit room, positioned off centre & not looking at the camera).
[-] The following 2 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • Nobby, Toby brown

With not long left to go until 2024 officially gets underway, I figured that I would throw my hat into the ring. Here’s my not-at-all actually going to happen predictions:

• Huw Edwards does not return to the BBC. Instead Clive Myrie and Sophie Raworth are confirmed as permanent lead newsreaders for the News at Six and Ten respectively.
• BBC journalists and the NUJ/BECTU call a 24 hour strike over further cuts to the news department, including the threatened cuts to Newsnight.
• A general election is called for either May or October 2024. Laura Kuenssberg leads the BBC’s election coverage alongside Chris Mason and Fiona Bruce, Tom Bradby with Robert Peston for ITV and Sophie Ridge for Sky News.
• Gladiators becomes a surprise hit for the BBC, and gets renewed for another series.
• ITV News to get a new look before or after the election, with a return to a more traditional studio with only a few virtual elements.
• The BBC’s extended Morning Live programme initially gets higher ratings than those for ITV1’s This Morning.
• Craig Doyle and Josie Gibson are confirmed as new permanent hosts of This Morning on Monday-Thursday. Dermot O’Leary and Alison Hammond continue to present on Fridays.
• Deal or No Deal gets recommissioned for a second series on ITV1, but either Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune (or both) flop, and are axed.
• ITV announces that The Voice UK is to be axed. There are also rumours of a potential X Factor reboot, although both ITV and Simon Cowell continue to deny them.
• Channel 4 cancels more of its commissions as it deals with a budget crisis that may or may not be resolved by the next election.
• Labour includes a pledge in its manifesto that protects Channel 4 from any future threats to privatise it.
• All licences for Channel 3 and 5 are renewed as expected.
• Channel 5 revives a programme previously made for the BBC daytime schedules, most likely to be Flog It!
• Local TV channels are scrapped.
•OFCOM continues to censure GB News after complaints about its coverage continue. Dan Wooton is forced out of GB News and does not return, whilst Eamonn Holmes announces he will leave the Breakfast show due to health issues.
• TALK TV tries to take over GB News after months of speculation, which is in fact mainly whipped up by the newspapers owned by News UK.
• Global launches a TV version of LBC as a response to GB News/TALK TV
• Warner Bros./Paramount merger talks continue but ultimately come to no agreement.
• The UK does better than expected at the Eurovision Song Contest in Malmo, and nearly wins the Junior Eurovision in France
•Simon McCoy makes a surprise return to TV journalism, either for Sky News or the new LBC channel

That’s about as far as I’ve got for predictions for 2024. Stay safe, enjoy yourselves tonight, and have a Happy New Year 2024!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jlmiller's post:
  • Superman1986