A Question of Sport axed

Should never have let Sue Barker go. I could understand Matt and Phil being moved on, but Sue should have stayed. McGuinness was a terrible choice of host and was truly the death knell.
[-] The following 3 users Like JLav25's post:
  • Reith85, Roger Darthwell, thomash79

(16-12-2023, 03:09 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  Should never have let Sue Barker go. I could understand Matt and Phil being moved on, but Sue should have stayed. McGuinness was a terrible choice of host and was truly the death knell.

They certainly shouldn’t have let her go in the way they did. She’s a much loved broadcaster and the negativity around her axing (more so than the team captains, who IMO were well overdue a refresh) did the show no favours at all.
[-] The following 6 users Like Flux's post:
  • AJB39, Happy2001, Jeff, JLav25, Scratch_Perry, thomash79

Paddy doesn't seem to have much success with his BBC shows.
[-] The following 3 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Scratch_Perry, Yorksman

(16-12-2023, 03:09 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  Should never have let Sue Barker go. I could understand Matt and Phil being moved on, but Sue should have stayed. McGuinness was a terrible choice of host and was truly the death knell.
There's one major problem with McGuinness getting that job - what's his sports pedigree? He isn't an ex-sportsperson of any sort, unlike Sue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Reith85

Another channel might pick it up. If Eggheads gets poached, then anything is possible.

One obvious difference there is that the BBC don't make or own Eggheads, they do with QOS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Reith85

(17-12-2023, 12:13 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  There's one major problem with McGuinness getting that job - what's his sports pedigree? He isn't an ex-sportsperson of any sort, unlike Sue.

I guess the theory was that Corden worked on A League of Their Own.

(17-12-2023, 04:41 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I guess the theory was that Corden worked on A League of Their Own.
That was more Sky’s version of They Think It’s All Over though. A Question of Sport whilst humorous was never comedy led.

(17-12-2023, 04:30 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Another channel might pick it up. If Eggheads gets poached, then anything is possible.
Eggheads situation is different, it’s a format from an independent production company produced by an independent production company. I also think it was probably sweetener to Jeremy Vine.

A Question of Sport is produced by an independent now, but I’m sure the BBC still own the format rights. That said I can’t see there would be anything stopping BBC Studios selling the rights. I think it’s more the point, it’s not a popular enough show at the moment to gain interest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Brekkie

(16-12-2023, 06:15 PM)Flux Wrote:  They certainly shouldn’t have let her go in the way they did. She’s a much loved broadcaster and the negativity around her axing (more so than the team captains, who IMO were well overdue a refresh) did the show no favours at all.

The show was literally just as dead under her ratings wise.
[-] The following 2 users Like cando's post:
  • Brekkie, Reith85

(17-12-2023, 04:58 PM)Jon Wrote:  That was more Sky’s version of They Think It’s All Over though. A Question of Sport whilst humorous was never comedy led.

Eggheads situation is different, it’s a format from an independent production company produced by an independent production company. I also think it was probably sweetener to Jeremy Vine.

A Question of Sport is produced by an independent now, but I’m sure the BBC still own the format rights.

Do they? A decent chunk of the show was ripping off other formats last I saw. 5 Gold Rings in particular.