A Question of Sport axed

(17-12-2023, 08:01 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Do they? A decent chunk of the show was ripping off other formats last I saw. 5 Gold Rings in particular.
Well the format is flexible enough, it’s easy for anyone to make a copycat.

The brand would be owned by the BBC though, which is what you’d need to bring it back.

I do think the revamped format was stronger and more in keeping with the heritage of the show than the last few years of Sue and co. They'd somewhat bought it back to more of a quiz format.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ChrisE, Reith85, steve

(17-12-2023, 04:58 PM)Jon Wrote:  Eggheads situation is different, it’s a format from an independent production company produced by an independent production company. I also think it was probably sweetener to Jeremy Vine.
It's made by 12 Yard, which is owned by ITV!

Did C5 make any more other than the initial batch and I think some celeb episodes?

(17-12-2023, 08:19 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I do think the revamped format was stronger and more in keeping with the heritage of the show than the last few years of Sue and co. They'd somewhat bought it back to more of a quiz format.

Agree with this. It had gone OTT silly in the latter years of Sue and co. The revamped version had far more sporting and quiz content than the last version of the era it replaced.
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • Brekkie, Reith85, UTVLifer

(17-12-2023, 09:30 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Did C5 make any more other than the initial batch and I think some celeb episodes?

They made 3 series- no sign of a fourth at the moment though. Channel 5 version was actually better though- the adverts and the one less player really helped the pace of the show. BBC’s version went at a snail’s pace.

Yes, I was amazed it lasted so long on the BBC as it was a dreadfully dull show - shown up even more once The Chase came along and showed a similar idea could be done with much more fun. I do agree some shows actually benefit from the ad breaks - and certainly from being only half an hour rather than stretched to the hour.

I do wonder if BBC1 might look to a quiz format to fill the hours - perhaps bring Mastermind back over. Also wonder now what the economics of adding a 5th episode of EastEnders, especially with a new very expensive set to pay off.

Eggheads being stuck away on BBC2 is probably why it lasted so long, though it was on BBC1 to start with. I think if it had stayed there it would have lasted a couple of series max. Think Tank was a similar show but which flopped because of the channel.

(19-12-2023, 03:09 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Eggheads being stuck away on BBC2 is probably why it lasted so long, though it was on BBC1 to start with. I think if it had stayed there it would have lasted a couple of series max. Think Tank was a similar show but which flopped because of the channel.

It wasn't exactly a competitive slot as well for Eggheads, since it was basically an alternative to the News, in a slot BBC Two had previously had trouble filling since the previous slotholder (The Simpsons), had moved to Channel 4.

I feel that was a problem the new QoS had. The previous incarnation hadn't exactly been a ratings winner, but seemed happy to be the sacrifical lamb against Corrie/Emmerdale on a Friday, or in the post news slot when there wasn't much else opposition. It felt like the relaunch was chasing the ratings, that it didn't need to do.

Back from the dead in a reincarnated form?

Not sure if this will work tbh. The casting and format might make it work, but I remain skeptical.

www.tvzoneuk.com