A Question of Sport axed

(29-02-2024, 08:09 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Back from the dead in a reincarnated form?

Not sure if this will work tbh. The casting and format might make it work, but I remain skeptical.

www.tvzoneuk.com 

I like the idea of a bit more of an irreverent sporting quiz. I guess it would be pitched somewhere between QoS & They Think Its All Over?

Comedy sports quizs are dime a dozen unless they plan to make it topical.

(29-02-2024, 08:09 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Back from the dead in a reincarnated form?

Not sure if this will work tbh. The casting and format might make it work, but I remain skeptical.

www.tvzoneuk.com 

Thought it sounded familiar - Nick Hancock presented and produced a one-off show for 5 Live in the run-up to the 2012 Olympics (produced by Hat Trick)

Being topical is what ultimately scuppered Question of Sport, and Mock the Week, according to Richard Osman, who is a pretty good authority on this kind of show

youtu.be 

A Question of Sport certainly wasn't topical by the end - records quite far in advance and a cast list which often was not that current at all.

So how will this new Hat Trick produced show be anyway more cost effective than A Question of Sport?

(29-02-2024, 09:42 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  So how will this new Hat Trick produced show be anyway more cost effective than A Question of Sport?

Because people might watch it.

(01-03-2024, 10:51 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Because people might watch it.

I don't see a difference here, still a panel show as A Question of Sport was, and also remember BBC doesn't rely on commercials, so ratings aren't necessary a big concern - I am still surprised at this decision, feels a lot like the BBC have seen the bad press they got for axing it, and now are trying to do something, anything but reversing the decision to axe it.

Again, if viewers watch it, which I doubt it will get anywhere bigger than A Question of Sport, how does that justify the launch? It will probably be very similar to A Question of Sport, have panel members on it and filmed in a studio with an audience and a host like Have I Got News For You - very similar to A Question of Sport really.

I can see this working if it's topical and a bit more about the politics of sport. Question of Sport was more of a quiz/game show with a panel wrapping compared to other panel shows like Buzzcocks and HIGNFY where the comedy is front and centre.

(29-02-2024, 09:42 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  So how will this new Hat Trick produced show be anyway more cost effective than A Question of Sport?

Well that should be obvious? Film it on the same set as HIGNFY, just changing the panels behind them, making what I can imagine is these days quite a cost ineffective show (building and striking a set for ten weeks for just 30 mins of TV) much more efficient. Only problem is they either make it topical but have two similar series on at the same time, probably back to back on a Friday night before the sports news becomes old. Or make it untopical and film the series at once but I'm not really sure what the content would be.

My issue with AQOS especially in the Sue, Tuffers and Matt Dawson years is that it felt tired and I think HIGSFY could potentially work although I'm not sure if sports lends itself to topical humour like news does. Have I Got Entertainment For You could work.

TBH moaning about a spin-off is just complaining for the sake of complaining.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Reith85