Linear channels and the future

There's also something to be said for just being able to 'put the telly on' and passively watch what's on, or having it on in the background while you're doing other stuff, without having to actively choose a different programme every time one ends.

I feel with on-demand streaming, it lends itself to sitting down on an evening to watch a big drama or high budget documentary. But I couldn't imagine ever specifically choosing Homes Under The Hammer, Lingo or A Place In The Sun – the kind of programmes you might watch and enjoy, purely 'because they're on'. Maybe FAST channels are their future home, but they all seem too focused on one niche at the moment.

I also think people like how a linear schedule plays into their own routines, whether it's having The Chase on while cooking the tea, or watching the News at One whilst having a sandwich.

I agree with those saying that some of the more repeat-based channels might struggle to find audiences in future, perhaps being replaced by FAST channels, but I don't see the likes of BBC One and ITV1 going anywhere soon.

Messages In This Thread
Linear channels and the future - by Keith - 20-12-2023, 12:29 PM
RE: Linear channels and the future - by Bluecortina - 21-12-2023, 10:55 AM
RE: Linear channels and the future - by Brekkie - 21-12-2023, 11:36 AM
RE: Sky TV presentation - by Rdd - 20-12-2023, 03:46 PM
RE: Sky TV presentation - by Spencer - 20-12-2023, 06:17 PM
RE: Sky TV presentation - by Brekkie - 20-12-2023, 06:23 PM