Jeopardy

Well the Jeopardy! reboot in the UK is so close to the American show it could easily be seen as a total transplant.
There are some minor set changes but nothing that will make or break the show.

Like what I've seen at the moment I have to say.
[-] The following 4 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • benzj, JMT1985, remlap, thomash79

I wonder if Sony is strict on how their shows are replicated, I imagine there are exceptions like Blind Date although that one was a co-production between Stellify and So Television.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

Stephen Fry is good and it moves along at a nice pace. I knew the format was dry and the answer/question format incredibly pretentious but didn't expect production to be so boring. I guess they don't want to risk waking their viewers up with a buzzer sound.

Distinctive soundtracking is a key component of UK gameshows and it's just completely lacking here. The intro is embarrassing - I doubt viewers really care that it was filmed in the same studio as Don't Scare the Hare!
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • remlap, Spencer

I think I'm right in saying that some/all of the previous UK versions of Jeopardy haven't bothered with the answer/question element

It's the most annoying thing about the format

I spent the entire show thinking the voiceover was Iain Stirling!

Whoops

I enjoyed it a bit more than I thought I would. Wouldn’t watch it regularly though.

They were "slavishly" adhering to the familiar.

I would have expected at least some changes to the typefaces or title graphics - but it looks identical.

Mish Mash of fonts, soft looking text overlays as if they are using the US templates, and even the opening globe is still rotated to show the US behind the logo text.

Now I can understand this approach, as it is an institution in the US and deviation risks alienating the potential audience for it - as Stephen Fry is also a big fan of the US original.

But I would hope if the show is commissioned for future episodes, they may be given a little leeway to make a few cosmetic alterations to the set and the graphics package.

Also the lack of in-studio audience is noticeable, but with the format as it is, Its not a lack of audience participation that is felt, but a lack of energy levels in the hosting and contestants, that may be improved by having people in studio.

Overall, Jeopardy is Jeopardy, and Stephen Fry's calm demeanour is well suited.
[-] The following 2 users Like mdta's post:
  • Quantum+83, thomash79

I did find it very dry and lacking in presentation elements I must say. But Stephen is a good host.

I didn't like Riddiculous (first time I have seen it) very boring.

I get a sense that ITV are waiting to see how Jeopardy does compared to Deal or No Deal with a view to only commissioning one of them.

The graphics certainly could be improved

The full screen graphic that shows the answer has too large text, and it being in all caps drastically reduces readability, especially a lengthier answer.

As has been pointed out (to me on Twitter by Jeff Bartrop and by mdta above) it may be at the moment they have to follow the format strictly, but yes let’s hope they allow them to relax it.

If they could get rid of the really clunky “question as answer” format point that would help. I know that’s basically the USP of Jeopardy but it is really clunky!

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

And it doesn't even make sense as you'd never answer the questions set in the manner in which they write the answers.

It'll be interesting to see how it does over it's run - I can't see it outrating what Tipping Point usually does but what might save it is it may bring an audience to ITV daytime which doesn't usually watch ITV daytime. I think it's something that might actually do better as a weekly late Sunday afternoon fixture (around 5.30pm) rather than daily.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jon, scottishtv