Wheel of Fortune

Been some discussion in the gameshow thread but think we need to get into the habit of more individual threads for individual programmes.

Starts tonight at 6pm - set looks great, amazingly this I think is Graham Norton's first stint as the host of a gameshow format since his C5 panel show in the late 90s and I think he did one of the overnight ITV gameshows around that time too.

No co-host with the letter revealing themselves, and we know there are "toss up" puzzles taken from the US version which are basically quickfire games without the wheel. I think they determine who goes first in a round.

Also from Granada Reports last night we can see the jackpot wheel is in play too which selects the main prize - it's £50k here, so not quite the $1m you see in the US. TBH with that in play surprised they haven't thrown in the possibility of £100k being in play.

(06-01-2024, 11:53 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think he did one of the overnight ITV gameshows around that time too.

Would that have been Carnal Knowledge? Infact I think this is the first time since that show Graham has done anything for ITV.

Carnal Knowledge is linked too to perhaps one of the worst ident placements in British television.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ACTV's post:
  • DE88

I know it's not unusual for shows to give away six figure sums but £100k is too much for Wheel of Fortune.

I'd say it's quite unusual for shows to give away six figure sums.

I can only think of these current or recent UK shows that offer a £100,000 or higher prize.

WWTBAM
Netflix's Squid Game: The Challenge
Stephen Mulhern's Deal or no Deal (hasn't actually happened)
Michael McIntyre's The Wheel (hasn't actually happened, I don't think)

Are there more?

...Limitless Win which also starts a new series tonight! (although the media rounds and even official trailers on ITV sort of ruin things)

The Chase and Beat The Chasers have also chucked out a few six figure wins although looking at One Question Shootout the record without having to split the money is £80,000 (not sure about Beat The Chasers stats)

Going back a bit but Who Dares Wins over on the BBC managed it a few times too with the 'winner stays on' format, that show just seemed to randomly vanish one day never to be seen again (Probably partly due to the lottery tie in shows ending in general and Pointless Celebs being the go to Saturday night filler), a shame as it was quite a good show!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johnr's post:
  • DE88

(06-01-2024, 01:17 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  I know it's not unusual for shows to give away six figure sums but £100k is too much for Wheel of Fortune.

Yes but if they use the US format it would need to randomly be won in the main game and the final prize selection.

I think they put a token on the main wheel, which if landed on adds it to the possible prizes in the final (but only if that player wins and doesn't go bankrupt), and then it's one of 20 or so prizes that can be randomly selected as the jackpot in the final, and then it actually has to be won. So there is probably something like a 0.1% chance it can be won. The $1m has only been won 4 times in 15 years in the US (so in around 3000 episodes).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • DE88

(06-01-2024, 02:00 PM)Johnr Wrote:  ...Limitless Win which also starts a new series tonight! (although the media rounds and even official trailers on ITV sort of ruin things)
Yeah. We know from the trailer that someone will end up on over a million pounds.

(06-01-2024, 12:08 PM)ACTV Wrote:  Would that have been Carnal Knowledge? Infact I think this is the first time since that show Graham has done anything for ITV.

Which is interesting considering they've owned his production company for years!
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88

(06-01-2024, 01:37 PM)Nobby Wrote:  I'd say it's quite unusual for shows to give away six figure sums.

I can only think of these current or recent UK shows that offer a £100,000 or higher prize.

WWTBAM

Are there more?

If getting technical on the number of shows that offer six figure sums based on the sheer amount of gameshows that are churned out, including only those currently airing and what has actually been won then maybe you have a point. If so, what percentage would you constitute as being unusual?

(06-01-2024, 02:04 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes but if they use the US format it would need to randomly be won in the main game and the final prize selection.

I think they put a token on the main wheel, which if landed on adds it to the possible prizes in the final (but only if that player wins and doesn't go bankrupt), and then it's one of 20 or so prizes that can be randomly selected as the jackpot in the final, and then it actually has to be won. So there is probably something like a 0.1% chance it can be won. The $1m has only been won 4 times in 15 years in the US (so in around 3000 episodes).

Random or not, I just think £100k for Wheel of Fortune of all shows is too much. £50k is fine for what it is. Even if they went halfway and said £75k, people would complain and say "why not round it off to £100k?". Similarly, below £50k would be seen as stingy/pathetic.

(06-01-2024, 01:37 PM)Nobby Wrote:  I'd say it's quite unusual for shows to give away six figure sums.

WWTBAM

Are there more?

1% Club too though I’m not sure anybody’s won the full £100K on there yet either.