Unused title sequences

We've discussed unused idents a few times but just wondering about unused title sequences.

Hollyoaks had a big revamp in 2010 and commissioned a new style opening, even setting a date for them to debut. But for some reason they were dropped and an updated version of the previous style launched a couple of months later instead, but a snippet was leaked.

youtu.be 

There are loads of supposedly unused Doctor Who titles on YouTube but suspect many are just mocks so I'm sure there are people here who can make that distinction better than me - I'm gambling on this one being genuine though:

youtu.be 

And James Mobbs posted an unused Breakfast prototype:
youtu.be 

A few others posted by the designers, though only really of interest if you're familar with what was used:

Supernatural:
youtu.be 

Penny Dreadful:
youtu.be 

Altered Carbon:
youtu.be 

Big Brother Australia 2012:
vimeo.com 

I'm sure there are more out there but it's a case of verifying they're either dropped or not commissioned intros rather than just mocks people try and pass off as unseen intros.

And one from a post-Brucie Play Your Cards Right pilot (with Vernon Kay):

youtu.be 
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bilky asko, DE88, Nobby

Another one, from Dancing on Ice 2018:
youtu.be 

I was going to say, this sort of thing is ripe for inaccuracies because any Tom, Dick or Harry can create a title sequence and claim it was a pilot or unused.

What I can say is relatively genuine though, and that was the original titles for Dad's Army, which was featured in the "We're Doomed! The Dad's Army Story" dramatisation. However I feel its not "the" original titles that were used, I suspect those were junked after Paul Fox said yeah you're not having that... So a bit of dramatic licence I think but there's a good idea of what could have been.

There's a Brookside one here:

www.youtube.com 

The difference seems to be in the shots of Liverpool at the start- while they do seem to have been shot at the same time as the footage that was used in the titles, it's different- no ferry in front of the liver building, no people walking around the Albert Dock, different cars driving in front of St George's Hall, a different angle of the Cathedral and Clayton Square shopping centre etc. They did change to using diferent footage of some of the shots when they updated the titles to include Bar Brookie in 1997- but it's still different to what's seen here.

The very end shots of the parade and close seem to have been spliced in from a different source though- you can see the Living DOG on the parade shots (which comes from a very short lived title sequence used in the autumn of 1992- when, on higher quality videos, you can see unleaded was 47.9p a litre... I wish) and the end shots of the close from an even higher quality source.

Admittedly I'm not 100% sure if this is genuinely an unused title sequence, or someone who got hold of a low quality video of the rushes of the Liverpool footage from 1991 and edited together their own title sequence from unused bits of the footage, splicing in the parade and close footage from elsewhere, but it definitely has footage that was unused in all the versions of the titles that were used over the years so I guess still counts.

(07-01-2024, 11:03 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I was going to say, this sort of thing is ripe for inaccuracies because any Tom, Dick or Harry can create a title sequence and claim it was a pilot or unused.
Yes - there are probably more unused titles of Doctor Who on YouTube than they've had real sequences so hoping people here are able to help distinguish between what's real and what isn't.

It seems that Video is now gone?

(07-01-2024, 11:19 PM)James2001 Wrote:  There's a Brookside one here:

www.youtube.com 

(07-01-2024, 11:51 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  It seems that Video is now gone?

Looks like I posted the link wrong, it's here:

www.youtube.com 

Apparently there was an unused version of Keeping Up Appearances titles which were dropped in favour of the ones which ran the length of the series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Worzel's post:
  • Brekkie

The only actual unused Doctor Who titles I’m aware of were the version of the 1970 titles which was supposed to have a new version of the theme tune which (thankfully) they didn’t use - I think it was supposed to debut with Carnival of Monsters in 1973 - it was dropped very shortly before airing and the original arrangement got another six years of use. Afaik the visuals were identical to the 1970 titles, only the music was different, so this might not count!