Thread Closed

BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

Random question but thinking back to 1997 did 5News attempt any kind of election programme?

(14-04-2024, 10:07 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Isn’t this suggestion that general elections are usually fixed dates that can be planned months in advance being overplayed?

Weren’t both the last two general elections called out of step with the the fixed term act, in those cases there wasn’t even an expectation there would be one at all

Even in December 1986, there was talk of June 1987 election. You can kind of tell where the winds are blowing on the direction of the timeline for next UK election. You had to go back to 1974 to get an election out side the April/May/June. In February 1996 the BBC did hold a rehearsal for an election, for the Spring 96 just in case. Even when Torys lost its common maj in Dec 96 Why didn't labour just go for a vote of No confidence, because they know one was come for May plus who wants to vote in middle of winter?

If your sitting in BBC, ITN, SKY newsrooms you have good idea were elections will fall, this year its shambles. alot of Studios and crews are needed and if you don't have a clue whats coming you can't really plan. TV is alot busier in the autumn.

In 2017 it was a surprised it was the only one that was unexpected. 2019 on the other hand It was half expected when they started poking lib dems and snp to say don't you want one, and nothing was moving forward.

We are now in a unique and strange situation where clock is ticking but were not heading for summer where heading for the dead of winter, which is very unusual. On top of that we have a clueless PM, - yes I can say that because he doesn't know when to go for it, Every other PM know of a date he/she wants to go for, right now even he doesn't know. He's like an old Married couple buying a brand new car and every single time they visit the showroom, they look at each other and can't decide what to do.

It was reported even on here, he was looking at May Election and then at the last min said no. He's now looking at June Election and this will go down to the wire again by the second week of May, He'll either go for it or say no. So now were be going for the emotions:

* 1st week in Sept ie for 17th Oct ( they wont touch 10th as that the 50th Anniversary of Labour win)
* Day of the his speech on Tory Conference for the 14th November but there been told don't do it around this, because of US election and media will get muddy.
* Early Nov for 19th Dec, I think if we get to that point he will just hold out and go for 23rd January 2025;

I wouldn't rule out him calling an election mid Aug for Late September, that would mean Parliament would be out of action for 3months.

A January election IMO is a no go simply because no one wants to campaign over Christmas and it would lead to a very annoyed electorate and equally annoyed MPs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • MLehon

(14-04-2024, 11:28 PM)XIII Wrote:  A January election IMO is a no go simply because no one wants to campaign over Christmas and it would lead to a very annoyed electorate and equally annoyed MPs.
These days, I think most of the campaigning people take notice of is done through the media, so the time of year is irrelevant. Random people may stick leaflets through my door, but they go straight in the green bin. I also don't answer my front door to anyone unless I'm expecting them.

Most of the campaigning would be in January if they decided to run it down to the wire. Frankly, if you're an MP (of whatever flavour) with a seat on the gravy train, you're in no great hurry to bring your ride to a premature end.

28 January (a Tuesday) is the last possible date. There is no stipulation that GEs have to be on a Thursday, although they always have been since 1931. The reasoning was that the great unwashed got paid on Fridays, so would be too drunk to vote. They would be penniless and sober on Thursdays. Tongue

If they went for Thursday 23 January, that's still plenty of time for campaigning after New Year. I think people generally get tired of blanket coverage after a few weeks anyway. People still go to work in the middle of Winter, so nothing to stop them voting on the way home.

Interesting this report from The Guardian, saying that there is a potential loophole in election rules that allows political advertising on streaming services (i.e. the ban only covers live TV like the TV Licence does with iPlayer). Most platforms (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, NOW) look to have ruled it out, but nothing definite yet from ITV X. YouTube is also another service that could have political ads during a campaign.

I would think it would be too late to do anything about it for the upcoming campaign(s), but would really hope the current ban on TV ads is made more comprehensive in future.

www.theguardian.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie

(15-04-2024, 02:28 AM)Stuart Wrote:  These days, I think most of the campaigning people take notice of is done through the media, so the time of year is irrelevant. Random people may stick leaflets through my door, but they go straight in the green bin. I also don't answer my front door to anyone unless I'm expecting them.
Yes but even though the bulk of campaigning happens via the media it would still require politicians to appear on the media over Christmas. It would also require everyone else involved to have to work over Xmas and the New Year too. The political programmes and journalists for TV don't operate over the festive period. Newsrooms are run on skeleton staff

(14-04-2024, 09:58 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  The talk has reappeared of a June election. Again the broadcasters must have stuff in place already?
Yes, listen to this about midway through

pres.cafe 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Milkshake

(15-04-2024, 07:18 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Yes but even though the bulk of campaigning happens via the media it would still require politicians to appear on the media over Christmas. It would also require everyone else involved to have to work over Xmas and the New Year too. The political programmes and journalists for TV don't operate over the festive period. Newsrooms are run on skeleton staff
The latter wouldn't be the government's problem to solve tho. I don't think it's likely but given how dire the outlook is for them, even compared to 97 when they at least had decent growth to point to, I'm not sure I see it as off the table.

Perhaps it could even be part of a desperate ploy to reduce turnout to record lows in the hope that'll hurt Labour more than them.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(15-04-2024, 03:27 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Interesting this report from The Guardian, saying that there is a potential loophole in election rules that allows political advertising on streaming services (i.e. the ban only covers live TV like the TV Licence does with iPlayer). Most platforms (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, NOW) look to have ruled it out, but nothing definite yet from ITV X. YouTube is also another service that could have political ads during a campaign.

I would think it would be too late to do anything about it for the upcoming campaign(s), but would really hope the current ban on TV ads is made more comprehensive in future.

www.theguardian.com 

Lets be honest, unless so massive, massive error in polling, no amount of political ads are going to have much influence.

For ITVX its a good way to make some money so a win for them.

(15-04-2024, 02:28 AM)Stuart Wrote:  These days, I think most of the campaigning people take notice of is done through the media, so the time of year is irrelevant. Random people may stick leaflets through my door, but they go straight in the green bin. I also don't answer my front door to anyone unless I'm expecting them.

Most of the campaigning would be in January if they decided to run it down to the wire. Frankly, if you're an MP (of whatever flavour) with a seat on the gravy train, you're in no great hurry to bring your ride to a premature end.

28 January (a Tuesday) is the last possible date. There is no stipulation that GEs have to be on a Thursday, although they always have been since 1931. The reasoning was that the great unwashed got paid on Fridays, so would be too drunk to vote. They would be penniless and sober on Thursdays. Tongue

If they went for Thursday 23 January, that's still plenty of time for campaigning after New Year. I think people generally get tired of blanket coverage after a few weeks anyway. People still go to work in the middle of Winter, so nothing to stop them voting on the way home.

Would the Inauguration of the US President not clash with that week?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ben Shatliff's post:
  • UTVLifer

(15-04-2024, 04:31 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  Would the Inauguration of the US President not clash with that week?

Indeed. Yes the presidential inauguration will be on the Monday (20th)
Thread Closed