Thread Closed

BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

I don't think much will change in terms of election coverage for ITV, BBC and Sky with the only change being even more advanced graphics.

As for GB News, I think they will hold the elections in their Paddington studios mainly with the breakfast bar, the newsroom and the ghastly brown sofas. But I also think the Westminster studios will be used for the morning after with a breakfast election special.

In terms of who I think will present it, they will probably go for Christopher Hope with Gloria De Piero and Tom Harwood alongside him. They'll have Matthew Goodwin as their poll analyst/psephologist considering he runs his own polling business. They will also have their regional correspondents at certain polling stations and I think they will have some of the presenters at certain party HQs reporting on reactions. Finally, I think the Headliners presenters might bring some light-hearted humour whenever there is a lull during the night.

The election is what GB News has been gearing themselves towards, calling themselves "Britain's Election Channel" - it will be interesting to see how much money and resources will be thrown at their general election coverage, not just for the night, but for the 4 weeks of campaigning as they will want to try and compete with BBC, ITV and Sky, but more especially the BBC.

I assume they will go into mourning mode.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ACTV, fatal paper cut, octothorpe, Spencer, thePineapple, Tim G

(16-04-2024, 01:01 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  January 20th is a Monday anyway as well, so will be long out the news cycle before the Thursday GE.

If Trump is back you never know what might happen! But that's a hypothetical that affects broadcasters as much as anybody else -- including likely the campaign here dependent on what he may do.

(16-04-2024, 05:53 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The election is what GB News has been gearing themselves towards, calling themselves "Britain's Election Channel" - it will be interesting to see how much money and resources will be thrown at their general election coverage, not just for the night, but for the 4 weeks of campaigning as they will want to try and compete with BBC, ITV and Sky, but more especially the BBC.
Don't broadcasters pool resources during large things like an election campaign? I thought GBN was already part of that pool, so they would have access to the same footage as everyone else. Of course, each will have their own 'talking heads' in their respective studios.

(17-04-2024, 02:28 AM)Stuart Wrote:  Don't broadcasters pool resources during large things like an election campaign? I thought GBN was already part of that pool, so they would have access to the same footage as everyone else. Of course, each will have their own 'talking heads' in their respective studios.

They pool some of the bigger counts, Newcastle and Sunderland as they are always trying to be first to declare, Downing street OB is pooled too. But I think most of them are down to the individual broadcasters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes aaron_scotland's post:
  • UTVLifer

(17-04-2024, 09:24 AM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  They pool some of the bigger counts, Newcastle and Sunderland as they are always trying to be first to declare, Downing street OB is pooled too. But I think most of them are down to the individual broadcasters.
I was thinking more of the campaign period rather than the actual results night.

(17-04-2024, 11:25 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I was thinking more of the campaign period rather than the actual results night.
Certain headline party campaign events - e.g., speeches, manifesto launches, etc. - will be pooled.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Stuart, UTVLifer

Very tangential to current elections, but it occurred to me earlier. When the Barcos were installed in TC7, was it intended that they'd use it for local elections annually? The 2007 locals used it, but they then got shunted back to Millbank in 2008 and then to N9 from 2009, presumably because moving Breakfast and the Six to TC7 made it harder to fit it in. Suspect hard for anybody to confirm the veracity of my hunch, but makes sense?

Quite the grab for Channel 4 as Emily Maitlis will be part of their alternative election coverage team.

Some other details included in such as Krishnan Guru-Murthy presenting, Cathy Newman in party HQ's, Clare Balding doing the data breakdown and further analysis from Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart.

www.mirror.co.uk 
[-] The following 11 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • ACTV, Ant, bkman1990, matthieu1221, RhysJR, Rolling News, Stuart, thePineapple, Transmission, UTVLifer, Will
Thread Closed