Thread Closed

BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

The last C4 election programme with Rylan, Katherine Ryan, Jimmy Carr etc was an absolute mess, so I'm pleased to see that none of them are involved this time round

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(22-04-2024, 09:52 AM)DTV Wrote:  is there some secret group of viewers who love hearing the same party HQ-approved talking points on a loop for hours?

Yes, the political parties themselves.

(22-04-2024, 04:22 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  The last C4 election programme with Rylan, Katherine Ryan, Jimmy Carr etc was an absolute mess, so I'm pleased to see that none of them are involved this time round

The worst they could do now, frankly, is get in their close mates at Expectation (even the company name brings out the shudders) to join in as co-producers a la 2019 - think they replaced Zeppotron.

Not sad to see the back of the 'alternative' format (Paxo's monologues felt more like an on-air audition for HIGNFY) - largely recall it only really seemed to gel properly when they ran out of comedy material halfway through the night and switched to serious discussion (in front of an emptying studio audience) and the odd declaration here and there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • AndrewP

The Last Leg the day after the election was not a good watch at all.

I'm still confused as to why Channel 4 would be making this announcement now? I doubt we sunak will run to the king and call the election before next Tuesday, so Were looking at 5-6 months away. By which time this is old new and no one will care.

(22-04-2024, 06:12 PM)XIII Wrote:  The Last Leg the day after the election was not a good watch at all.

I suspect its on its last legs.. It will be back for the paras then one last election run and then disappear.
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • Nige, UTVLifer

(22-04-2024, 07:08 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  I'm still confused as to why Channel 4 would be making this announcement now? I doubt we sunak will run to the king and call the election before next Tuesday, so Were looking at 5-6 months away. By which time this is old new and no one will care.

I suspect its on its last legs.. It will be back for the paras then one last election run and then disappear.

There's the very real prospect of Sunak facing a leadership challenge following disastrous results for the Conservatives in the local elections, especially if they lose the West Midlands and Tees Valley mayoral contests.
A quick Google of "UK general election 2024" brings up numerous articles speculating that Sunak could call an election in early May (for June) to avoid a leadership challenge. Even Laura K speculated on Newscast yesterday that she was hearing from senior Downing St sources that Sunak could call a snap election within weeks, rather than face a Tory leadership challenge.
[-] The following 4 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, fatal paper cut, UTVLifer

(22-04-2024, 07:08 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  I'm still confused as to why Channel 4 would be making this announcement now? I doubt we sunak will run to the king and call the election before next Tuesday, so Were looking at 5-6 months away. By which time this is old new and no one will care.

The election date is far from set in stone, and there is still the possibility of it being called soon. If they've got all the talent in place, why not make the announcement now? There's a lot of discussion at the moment of when the election is going to be, so it seems like an opportune moment to announce it. And it hardly stops them from trailing the programme closer to the time either.
[-] The following 3 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Happy2001, Jeff, UTVLifer

(22-04-2024, 07:49 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  There's the very real prospect of Sunak facing a leadership challenge following disastrous results for the Conservatives in the local elections, especially if they lose the West Midlands and Tees Valley mayoral contests.

Losing the former looks to be a given, and even the latter is on a knife edge.

It's so up in the air that literally the only thing we can truly be sure of is it will be some time between the start of June (if it was called tomorrow) and the 28th January.

(22-04-2024, 07:54 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  The election date is far from set in stone, and there is still the possibility of it being called soon. If they've got all the talent in place, why not make the announcement now? There's a lot of discussion at the moment of when the election is going to be, so it seems like an opportune moment to announce it. And it hardly stops them from trailing the programme closer to the time either.

Through they might be changes. Clare Balding likely won’t be available if it clashes with her sport hosting commitments.

Well, well, well! I think the way things are going, we might be adding the Scottish Parliament to this election year if this story is anything to go by.

uk.news.yahoo.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like KrazyKei's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, UTVLifer
Thread Closed