Thread Closed

BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

The West Midlands debate was missing one candidate, an independent. No explanation as to why, but there was a short video introducing him and allowing him to say what he would do if elected.

It took place in The Compound, in the Jewellery Quarter, which is where Joe Lycett's Big Gay Pride Party was made in 2022.

(25-04-2024, 08:54 PM)dvboy Wrote:  The West Midlands debate was missing one candidate, an independent. No explanation as to why, but there was a short video introducing him and allowing him to say what he would do if elected.

I don't think there's a requirement for someone to attend these debate type things.

I know it's of trivial importance but it's interesting to see how each respective region handles the style. They're all very similar, but also different. London went for a credit roll on the election graphics and ending with the electaxogon animating in, North West went with a simple fade on fade off and Midlands went for a credit roll over a wideshot of their studio and guests.

While clearly a kit of parts has gone out but those three stylistic differences are interesting because of the blend of fonts in use, London had the ©BBC in Gill Sans though, despite the credits themselves being in Reith.

The disadvantage of prerecording it yesterday is that some news from today like Labour's nationalisation of the railways isn't mentioned and I would imagine that would have featured in some of the debates like London.

(25-04-2024, 09:05 PM)Mike Wrote:  I don't think there's a requirement for someone to attend these debate type things.
Of course, but a short line to say they were invited would have sufficed.

(25-04-2024, 09:10 PM)XIII Wrote:  The disadvantage of prerecording it yesterday is that some news from today like Labour's nationalisation of the railways isn't mentioned and I would imagine that would have featured in some of the debates like London.

The Reform candidate in the West Midlands fell foul of that one, going into unnecessary detail about why she didn't like a particular planning application that had been rejected by the time the programme was broadcast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • XIII

(25-04-2024, 08:54 PM)dvboy Wrote:  The West Midlands debate was missing one candidate, an independent. No explanation as to why, but there was a short video introducing him and allowing him to say what he would do if elected.

It took place in The Compound, in the Jewellery Quarter, which is where Joe Lycett's Big Gay Pride Party was made in 2022.
And indeed Late Night Lycett is currently airing from on Friday nights.

That sounds a bit like not meeting a threshold for debate inclusion, but still needing to be given some air time - similar to how 'minor' parties get treated at a general election?

(25-04-2024, 09:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And indeed Late Night Lycett is currently airing from on Friday nights.

It isn't, Late Night Lycett is made at The Bond in Digbeth, just down from Masterchef's new place, Digbeth Loc and couple of hundred metres away from the Tea Factory.

The Compound in the JQ is similar though, I can see why you thought that but they are a mile apart.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mike's post:
  • London Lite

(25-04-2024, 09:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And indeed Late Night Lycett is currently airing from on Friday nights.

No, that's The Bond in Digbeth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • Mike

I know that it's a great thing to finally have BBC 1 regions in HD..... but at least when they weren't you had a choice of the regional opt or the network programme. I'd rather have seen Dragons Den :-D

Not that I think they're pointless, but these are fairly localised elections and the TV regions aren't... I can't vote for any of them Undecided

(25-04-2024, 08:27 PM)XIII Wrote:  I'm watching A Mayor for London and it's interesting it was prerecorded yesterday and not live.

I see it had a radio simulcast too - I wonder how much effort they went to to keep them in sync (compared to how this kind of thing would have been done in the olden days!)
Thread Closed