Thread Closed

BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

BBC Radio WM also simulcast the West Midlands debate.

(26-04-2024, 06:26 AM)thegeek Wrote:  I see it had a radio simulcast too - I wonder how much effort they went to to keep them in sync (compared to how this kind of thing would have been done in the olden days!)
They wouldn't try at all, and there's not really any need to, there's not the expectation of people listening to the debate on Radio WM in stereo with the TV sound tuned off. And of course theres no way to do that these days.

It'll presumably be the same source as TV were broadcasting on a studio OS, unless they had a seperate radio copy and played that.

Doesn't Question Time still go out on 5Live as a simulcast with BBC1 ?

Apparently the rumours are growing of an announcment on Monday. So that sounds like to me before the summer holidays if there's not a very long build-up.

twitter.com 

Apparently Number 10 have denied the Monday rumours....

twitter.com 

so Monday it is, then 😛
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • RhysJR

There's no chance of it being announced this side of the local elections this close.

(26-04-2024, 06:25 PM)dvboy Wrote:  There's no chance of it being announced this side of the local elections this close.
Seems to be a weekly occurance but they might see announcing a general election as a ploy to win votes in the local elections.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Milkshake

I think we just have to wait until someone goes to the king. This is going play out every day from any point next week until Xmas.

ALOT of Political people, have made judgement calls saying he will call shortly, but its just pointless, were just dogs chasing our tails.

Speculation will RAMP up next Friday, Lets see see the Scottish Parliament VONC first .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • UTVLifer

(26-04-2024, 09:54 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  I think we just have to wait until someone goes to the king. This is going play out every day from any point next week until Xmas.

ALOT of Political people, have made judgement calls saying he will call shortly, but its just pointless, were just dogs chasing our tails.

Speculation will RAMP up next Friday, Lets see see the Scottish Parliament VONC first .

There is definitely a growing chitter chatter about June. Holyrood will be interesting. Logic would suggest an election on the same day, but while this isn’t illegal, it’s very much frowned upon. This happened once and it was a disaster, leading to a full inquiry which advised against it ever happening again. The basic thrust of the issue is that the voting systems are different for various forms of government in Scotland and the one time we tried it we had A LOT of spoiled ballots. I still remember the baffling lecture at the polling station about which way to vote on which coloured sheet!

My prediction? June for a General Election, July for a Scottish election. Holyrood is baked in for May elections, but we’re in uncharted waters now. A busy few months ahead for the election studios!

There are only two routes to an early/extraordinary Holyrood election set out in the Scotland Act 1998

1) If either Scottish Labour's VONC in the ScotGov passes and the entire Yousaf administration falls OR if the Tory motion passes and Yousaf steps down, and then no new FM is nominated in the the Scottish Parliament within 28 days. The Presiding Officer would then name a date for an extraordinary election

(It's more likely the SNP would put up either the DFM or the deputy leader as an interim FM for the duration of a leadership election)

2) If 2/3 of the Scottish Parliament vote for an early dissolution and election, which is unlikely given the SNP still hold almost half the seats in Holyrood

The rumours about an election being called on 'monday' have been reported in a coupe of places, however I saw it mentioned that the Monday was the one after the local elections, not the 29th April.

It would be very odd to start an election campaign during and overlapping with another campaign period.

Starting the process 4 days after the locals does seem like quite a nice idea in a way, if it goes the way it's predicted then it cuts the post-election pressure on the Prime Minister - they'll all have to snap into action
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, UTVLifer
Thread Closed