Thread Closed

BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(27-04-2024, 06:00 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Generally for satellite links and other traditional circuits, the clean feed will be audio only, usually provided via a phone call.
Yes though often by satellite comms, though these are more limited.

In some previous elections the BBC have utilised the 16 audio embedded channels on a video feed to supply clean feeds to 16 different sat trucks. It was uplinked to satellite and each truck selected a different audio track. The video being used to send information to the trucks or provide studio output.

In the unlikely event that a general election is called by next Tuesday 30 April it would be held on Thursday 6 June (assuming it is on a Thursday by tradition)

The dates a general election needs to be called by are set out at
commonslibrary.parliament.uk 

I’m sure someone in the media is making up these leaks for clicks

It seems like there is a leak that the election is going to be called imminently, followed by it being denied, every single week
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • Stuart

I suspect there's more than a little giddiness from the Westminster journalists, but it's likely the opposition parties are happy to propagate the stories so they can roll out the bottler/chicken line when it inevitably doesn't happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Isonstine's post:
  • UTVLifer

(27-04-2024, 08:03 PM)Isonstine Wrote:  I suspect there's more than a little giddiness from the Westminster journalists, but it's likely the opposition parties are happy to propagate the stories so they can roll out the bottler/chicken line when it inevitably doesn't happen.
I can understand the motivation of some political parties to spin that agenda. However, the reality is that we have a Parliament with a mandate which doesn't expire for another 8 months.

If I thought I was about to lose my well paid job, I wouldn't be in any hurry to bring forward the end of my employment. Plenty of Governments, of all flavours, have run it down to the wire. A GE in late January isn't really a problem for anyone.

Between 2015 and 2019 we had three GEs and a referendum. I was considering taking a fold-out camp bed to the Polling Station as it felt like I spent so much time queuing up there. Tongue

It might be nice for a Parliament to actually run a full term. The broadcasters are ready for whenever it happens, but might be easier in January as there is little else happening in the UK.

(28-04-2024, 08:58 AM)Stuart Wrote:  A GE in late January isn't really a problem for anyone.

Hasn't traditional thinking been, especially on the right of politics, that winter elections are A Bad Idea because the traditional voter base is less likely to want to brave the bad weather and leave the house to vote?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bbctvtechop's post:
  • TIGHazard

(27-04-2024, 07:53 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I’m sure someone in the media is making up these leaks for clicks

It seems like there is a leak that the election is going to be called imminently, followed by it being denied, every single week

I've seen others suggest it could be Labour, using it to force Sunak to deny and make himself seem weaker by constantly 'delaying' it.

(28-04-2024, 10:14 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Hasn't traditional thinking been, especially on the right of politics, that winter elections are A Bad Idea because the traditional voter base is less likely to want to brave the bad weather and leave the house to vote?
People still go to work in Winter. They vote on the way to/from work. They are already out of the house.

The last election was in December. That seemed to work out well for the person who selected that date.

The turnout in June 2017 was 68.8%. In December 2019 it was 67.3%. Barely noticeable difference.

(28-04-2024, 10:26 AM)Stuart Wrote:  People still go to work in Winter. They vote on the way to/from work. They are already out of the house.

The last election was in December. That seemed to work out well for the person who selected that date.

The turnout in June 2017 was 68.8%. In December 2019 it was 67.3%. Barely noticeable difference.

But in winter you obviously have more chance of snow/ ice which, famously, we're pretty bad at dealing with.

(28-04-2024, 11:05 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  But in winter you obviously have more chance of snow/ ice which, famously, we're pretty bad at dealing with.
I'm OK with ice in December as much as I am in January, honestly. I manage to get to work throughout Winter (Dec-Feb) as I need the money. Tongue
Thread Closed