BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(15-01-2024, 08:52 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Can they still happen if an election is called in September? I know it not the right place per say but its kind of is as long as we don't go down the rabbit hole..

If an election is called for early November there has been alot of talk of it being overlapped with US election which could muddy our waters and talk away important airtime for out talking points.

I wonder if New SKY news breakfast set will also be used for SKY election programme.

It would more than muddy the waters. There was a article in the Sunday Times about 3 months ago talking about how an overlapping election would be a security risk.

www.thetimes.co.uk 

Quote:An autumn contest could overlap with the US election on November 5 next year — a scenario not seen for decades. A Whitehall source said ministers were advised of the security risks involved in an election that coincided with a US presidential race.

The insider said: “There are huge security and market implications if two Five Eyes countries are holding elections at once. It could potentially open up two countries to cyberwarfare and electoral manipulation from hostile states and if a security threat were to arise during a campaign it would leave western countries exposed.”

----

A former minister said the cabinet had been warned last year of the risks of concurrent contests. The source added: “It was made known that the settled intelligence and security opinion was that this would be a terrible idea and one we would do well to avoid.”

I'm going with it being held in September or early October based on that.

Fundamentally, the election is going to be held when it's going to be held - nobody knows, least of all because the government hasn't decided yet.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • interestednovice, Stuart

(20-01-2024, 09:31 AM)TIGHazard Wrote:  It would more than muddy the waters. There was a article in the Sunday Times about 3 months ago talking about how an overlapping election would be a security risk.

www.thetimes.co.uk 

I'm going with it being held in September or early October based on that.

The types of risk in that article wouldn’t be much reduced in September or October compared to a early November election given early voting and the length of US campaigns.
If there was a desire to separate the elections the best timing would actually be the Thursday before Christmas as they wouldn’t have to call the election until after voting had closed in the US.
[-] The following 1 user Likes qwerty123's post:
  • UTVLifer

May would solve all the problem for everyone, will not one person.

Im still not convinced anyone of the big TV operations will have new pres for the elections. HOW would GB news and Talk TV be able to handle the elections? Would both ended up pulled off air if they muck that badly up?

What is this talk of addition set for ITV news? Could we see this for elections?

I suspect if GB News or Talk TV break the purdah rules they'll just end up with a slap on the wrist six months later if they promise not to do it again.

It would be nice if ITV News based themselves out in the atrium again - not sure how practical that is now but they generally have something set up out there whilst the main presentation comes from the main studio.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

GB News and Talk TV don't have the influence to alter an election result anyway.

The target demo know who they want to vote for, while others are indifferent to their output.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Gibsy

(20-01-2024, 06:25 PM)London Lite Wrote:  GB News and Talk TV don't have the influence to alter an election result anyway.

The target demo know who they want to vote for, while others are indifferent to their output.
That may be the case. I’m not surely I entirely agree with it. Even if you’re assuming their audience is going to vote for a party on the right, there is more than one of those.

But your biases aren’t relevant to whether these channels are allowed to break broadcasting rules.

Has anyone heard any rumours about the BBC's election night presenter? For me, it has to be Clive Myrie. He's probably the person I most associate with BBC News, post-Huw.
[-] The following 3 users Like JK08's post:
  • arbrax, Spencer, TJTSW

(15-01-2024, 07:38 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  BBC for the 1997 Election had rehearsals and the Set ready early 1996. The trouble so many dates have been suggested that its unclear if anything one date has better chance than the others

ITV used the 1996 Council elections as a run out for the 1997 coverage as this documentary showed:

www.youtube.com 

57.21 to 59.27

(21-01-2024, 10:58 AM)JK08 Wrote:  Has anyone heard any rumours about the BBC's election night presenter? For me, it has to be Clive Myrie. He's probably the person I most associate with BBC News, post-Huw.

I’d think Fiona Bruce is also in with a chance.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • AJB39, TJTSW