BBC sell Elstree site

The BBC has sold the entire Elstree site, including the EastEnders set, to insurance giant AXA - believed to be for around £70m.. They will lease back the EE set.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Toby brown

I wonder what the biggest studio the BBC owns is now?
Probably outside London, Glasgow or Salford?

Sounds like pretty desperate action from a cash-strapped BBC.
[-] The following 9 users Like Dadeki's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, CATV, interestednovice, Ma76, Nige, Nobby, Roger Darthwell

(17-01-2024, 03:21 PM)simpfeld Wrote:  I wonder what the biggest studio the BBC owns is now?
Probably outside London, Glasgow or Salford?

BBC doesn’t own any studios in Salford (other than the Breakfast/Sport/NWT spaces). They’re owned by Peel/Dock 10.
[-] The following 6 users Like JexedBack's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, DE88, interestednovice, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(17-01-2024, 03:53 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  Sounds like pretty desperate action from a cash-strapped BBC.

Leasebacks are not unusual in industry and get the impression the studios need a bit of investment - with the BBC having long term leases in place at nearby Elstree Studios which meet their requirements better.

Sadly every penny need justifying now and it's probably an understandable decision. A 25 year lease so still a commitment there - potentially takes EastEnders through to 2049.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, DE88, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell

(17-01-2024, 04:01 PM)JexedBack Wrote:  BBC doesn’t own any studios in Salford (other than the Breakfast/Sport/NWT spaces). They’re owned by Peel/Dock 10.

FWIW the BBC are vacating Bridge House at MediaCity, however I believe this is mostly office space. Quay House which is opposite from there is home to Breakfast, Sportsday, North West Tonight etc.

Whilst that is a BBC branded building, ultimately it is Peel that own the entirety of the land around MediaCity (along with many other high profiles places in the north west, but that’s a different story.).

Dock10 is located next to Bridge House and is commonly known as The Studios, which is a Peel entity. Whilst the BBC are probably the best known clients there, as we know others use it. In the public lobby it features the old Countdown clock and a fake Rovers Return.

Shame real shame. I guess the new outdoor set for EastEnders is now off the cards. Wonder how AXA will develop it?

Out of interest is this like subtract to contract mean things have got to be signed over and only a deal has been agreed or do AXA own it as of now?

I'd have expected them to sell it for more than they recently spent on the site.
[-] The following 3 users Like what's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76, Rxtx

Absolutely rediculous, they haven’t learnt from selling BBC Center at all, they are on their last legs, The BBC won’t exist in 5 years

I suppose also this means GE 2024 will be in NBH again rather than Elstree which is a great shame
[-] The following 1 user Likes aaron_scotland's post:
  • Ma76

(17-01-2024, 10:46 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  I suppose also this means GE 2024 will be in NBH again rather than Elstree which is a great shame

The plan has always been that NBH Studio B will be used for elections from now on.
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76