BBC Radio collections - on auction

The Beeb is auctioning some of their archives on January 30, with online bidding now in progress.
mixmag.net 

Largely old records, but there're some equipment and signs that might interest some over here - like a BBC Radio On Air sign!
bid.omegaauctions.co.uk 

For the sake of a thumbnail image:
goauctionomega.blob.core.windows.net 
Web Image

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • lookoutwales

Lot 10 is probably the thing that will be of most interest here. Very tempted if I had a spare £200

bid.omegaauctions.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • chrisherald, lookoutwales, Omnipresent

Read Richard Russell’s description of the GNAT clock
www.bbceng.info 

RTR is also the author of BBC Basic

And some clock screen saver downloads inc the GNAT
625.uk.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • chrisherald

(20-01-2024, 06:21 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Lot 10 is probably the thing that will be of most interest here. Very tempted if I had a spare £200

bid.omegaauctions.co.uk 

Sorry for my ignorance here, but how easy would it be to connect this up to a domestic TV or monitor in, say, my front room, and have a nice BBC One clock on display?

(20-01-2024, 08:19 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Sorry for my ignorance here, but how easy would it be to connect this up to a domestic TV or monitor in, say, my front room, and have a nice BBC One clock on display?

You're assuming it still works. There's a rather spicy looking battery on one of the boards and I imagine it may need some level of re-capping.

www.bbceng.info 

This document sort of gives a clue, you need a receiver for MSF data that can interface with the MSF in or some form of reference for it to use for timekeeping in the absence of that, not sure if the mains supply would be readily available then you'd need something that could take the 3 BNC connectors of the output into a modern input connector or an old school BNC monitor?

I've no idea if Richard Russell is still around or on here, but he would probably be the best person to get it working again.

What is fascinating is how the background can be obtained through connecting a slide file or quantel device to the input
[-] The following 2 users Like Mike's post:
  • chrisherald, Spencer

I saw the same unit (my pictures show the same marks on the front) in 2011, and it worked then - but it would certainly need some TLC before turning it on again. The stored background was the BBC One balloon.

I had a feeling its time was set from LTC on an XLR - indeed that's the connector the picture shows - but I could be confusing it with many other bits of broadcast kit I've seen over the years. No doubt one could bodge something, or just set it manually.

I did consider bidding, but it's probably beyond my price range now. (Don't forget buyer's premium, VAT, and if you can't collect from their warehouse, the auctioneers quoted me £60-100 for a courier). I do hope it goes to a good home!
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • chrisherald

the GNAT sold for £1200. Blimey!
[-] The following 4 users Like thegeek's post:
  • chrisherald, lookoutwales, Stooky Bill, TJTSW