The TV Gameshow Thread

I don't know about the Korean version but the recent Dutch version had a 'Creator' but he only appeared as a shadowy figure with a distorted voice.

So good call to actually cast The Creator.

I did notice one of the news sites was using someone's joke version of that image with a time crystal in David's hand instead of the Garnet, by accident obviously. I guess it does have a few Crystal Maze tropes too, but it's one of those shows that has a vocal fanbase amongst the gameshow community, but might have taken a little too long to get here to not be seen as something else. It's certainly a very stylised thing, but now it might get labelled as The Traitors: The Puzzle Game which isn't really fair.

I think that's fair enough if it was pitched as "like The Traitors" and by people within ITV.

TVGuide suggesting Winning Combination will air in the ITV1 3pm slot on Monday. Interesting scheduling since it's a while since it was axed.

(16-03-2024, 09:52 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  TVGuide suggesting Winning Combination will air in the ITV1 3pm slot on Monday. Interesting scheduling since it's a while since it was axed.

Although BBC Two have been repeating Impossible at 1pm for quite a while and that was also axed (disappointingly in my opinion)
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, DE88, WhisperOfCinnamon

(16-03-2024, 10:32 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Although BBC Two have been repeating Impossible at 1pm for quite a while and that was also axed (disappointingly in my opinion)

Indeed but much more common on BBC Two to repeat long axed shows at 1pm. Can think of Lightning, Beat the Brain, Head Hunters and Chase the Case in recent years going out in that slot.

I might be wrong, but I think this could be the first time ITV have repeated a previously axed quiz at 3. It's normally been Lingo or Tenable repeats when not trying newer quizzes

Watched the ITV1 repeat of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire last night, and must've not seen it on first broadcast, as there was a right stinker of a question which I don't remember seeing before. It asked about a Spanish dish. The contestant confidently ruled out tortilla, thinking of the flatbread, and after using Ask The Audience went with their answer - resulting in him going home with nothing, as it was only the £1000 question and tortilla was the correct answer. It was actually asking about an omelette. If even the audience couldn't get it right, then no way should that have been such a low value question. It should've been worth at least £16,000.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

To be fair, unless they test every question on an audience beforehand, you’re always going to get ones that are in the wrong place on the ladder. That’s always happened.

The big issue with this version of the show remains the casting. Having contestants who just shrug their shoulders and say ‘that’s fair enough’ to losing out on £32,000 proves that casting is wrong. The famous Fiona Wheeler episode was on Challenge a few weeks back and her winning £32,000 was much more entertaining than seeing a Doctor or Solicitor winning big or even crashing down from £125,000. I know the fear is people who need the money won’t gamble, but that’s all down to casting and I’m sure they can get around that by casting people who aren’t risk averse. Ultimately if the money doesn’t mean a meaningful change to their lives, the might as well be playing for Monopoly money or a Mastermind glass vase.

It’s become a running joke that when I see a contestant I guess whether they’re a solicitor or some kind of doctor. Something like Beat the Chasers is cast much better.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • Brekkie, callumwatchestelly

I remember the episode because of the klaxon contestant ruining the illusion of 'having to come back next week' Big Grin

(20-03-2024, 11:32 AM)Jon Wrote:  To be fair, unless they test every question on an audience beforehand, you’re always going to get ones that are in the wrong place on the ladder. That’s always happened.

The big issue with this version of the show remains the casting. Having contestants who just shrug their shoulders and say ‘that’s fair enough’ to losing out on £32,000 proves that casting is wrong. The famous Fiona Wheeler episode was on Challenge a few weeks back and her winning £32,000 was much more entertaining than seeing a Doctor or Solicitor winning big or even crashing down from £125,000. I know the fear is people who need the money won’t gamble, but that’s all down to casting and I’m sure they can get around that by casting people who aren’t risk averse. Ultimately if the money doesn’t mean a meaningful change to their lives, the might as well be playing for Monopoly money or a Mastermind glass vase.

It’s become a running joke that when I see a contestant I guess whether they’re a solicitor or some kind of doctor. Something like Beat the Chasers is cast much better.
I agree with the overall sentiment (and wonder if the previous phone line model brought in more people who would normally never apply to be on a quiz). Also worth remembering though that the value of the prizes has roughly halved since Fiona Wheeler due to inflation.