The TV Gameshow Thread

For anyone missing their Gladiators fix next Saturday, Ninja Warrior: Race For Glory starts a repeat run on ITV1 at 5pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

www.tvzoneuk.com 

A smart idea to look beyond Q+A, though maybe this show will have some of that.

What other board games would make good gameshows?
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • Juicy Joe

Guess Who? maybe. Cluedo could work as a reality type game show although that’s more or less what The Traitors is.

(03-04-2024, 04:02 PM)Hybrid Wrote:  Guess Who? maybe. Cluedo could work as a reality type game show although that’s more or less what The Traitors is.

That reminds me of the 90s ITV gameshow Cluedo that popped up on YouTube for me earlier in the week. Apparently Chris Tarrant hated doing it. It had three different presenters and a different cast each series over three series.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 4 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • DE88, Happy2001, Hybrid, Juicy Joe

Chris moaned that it "took ages to film" - but I don't think this is true. The location scenes were all filmed weeks in advance of studio production, and the studio based scenes were fairly basic, and I don't see where or how it could "take ages to film". Can anyone explain this?

Richard Madeley who took over from Chris for the final two series in 1992 and 1993 had the opposite to say, he enjoyed hosting it.

We were talking earlier in the thread about celebrities appearing on non-celebrity editions of gameshows. A gentleman has just appeared on Pointless today who not only appeared in six episodes of dinnerladies, he also claimed that he has been a Pointless answer (the question being name anyone who has appeared in more than one episode of the BBC sitcom dinnerladies according to IMDB).

It's this guy...
m.imdb.com 

IIRC his character fell off a diving board in Guernsey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nobby's post:
  • Gary Baldy

(03-04-2024, 05:36 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Chris moaned that it "took ages to film" - but I don't think this is true. The location scenes were all filmed weeks in advance of studio production, and the studio based scenes were fairly basic, and I don't see where or how it could "take ages to film". Can anyone explain this?

Richard Madeley who took over from Chris for the final two series in 1992 and 1993 had the opposite to say, he enjoyed hosting it.

Maybe Chris felt the show was overly long and drawn out and too slow paced for a light entertainment format, which subsequently made it more of an effort to film? Perhaps the guessing game was also more Madeley's bag with him being a journalist used to that sort of back and forth patter?

I think it was more that the studio discussion segments were just so long winded in terms of collating enough material to edit down - lots of thinking time and idle discussion. He was at the time used to as live things that took as long to record as to play out, so he would start to get a bit antsy.
[-] The following 2 users Like agemame's post:
  • DE88, Happy2001

ITV to launch this format '99 to Beat'

x.com 

More info here on the format which already runs in Germany, Sweden, Poland, Netherlands

www.primitives.tv 
[-] The following 3 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • Happy2001, iloveTV1, Juicy Joe

(03-04-2024, 11:14 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  ITV to launch this format '99 to Beat'

x.com 

More info here on the format which already runs in Germany, Sweden, Poland, Netherlands

www.primitives.tv 

So 1 vs 100 and The 1% Club? ITV really are running out of format ideas.