The TV Gameshow Thread

(03-04-2024, 11:38 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  So 1 vs 100 and The 1% Club? ITV really are running out of format ideas.
Reading the article and watching the promo, it doesn’t seem anything like either format apart from featuring a 100 people. And to be fair the two shows you’ve mentioned aren’t really similar to each other either.
[-] The following 7 users Like Jon's post:
  • Ash101, bilky asko, callumwatchestelly, eyeTV, Gary Baldy, Juicy Joe, Nobby

(03-04-2024, 11:38 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  So 1 vs 100 and The 1% Club? ITV really are running out of format ideas.

Not really. Both of these formats are based around quiz questions, whereas this seems to be based more around physical challenges.

The most similar example is probably something like First and Last (which was on BBC One in 2020), although I imagine this will be made to be a slightly more reality-esque TV show given that the 99 challenges will be spread across 8 episodes.
[-] The following 2 users Like iloveTV1's post:
  • Gary Baldy, Nobby

Talking of 100 contestant formats did any UK broadcaster pick up The Floor, which is basically 100 contestants on a 10 by 10 grid battling to take over the grid by eliminating those around them on the grid in a series of duels.

If that's the Dutch show/format, then not in the UK (not yet at least) but Fox in the US had a stab at it and according to Wiki butchered the format.

However that being said:
senalnews.com 

Presumably nobody was interested.

Youngest Media were developing it but they went out of business.

The commenting on similarities between various 100 to 1 formats is fair enough and that's what viewers will do too. The 1% Club is made out to be some highly original format but it's Everybody's Equal/Whittle with Test The Nation type questions. Most people remember none of the three, another reason why it has been so successful.

The 1% Club is the biggest gameshow on TV - averaging 5.8m consolidated during the current run - according to this ITV press release.

www.itv.com 

I guess this is one gameshow where there won't be a celebrity version? I can't imagine they could sign up 100.
[-] The following 3 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Happy2001, RhysJR

(15-04-2024, 03:54 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  The 1% Club is the biggest gameshow on TV - averaging 5.8m consolidated during the current run - according to this ITV press release.

www.itv.com 

I guess this is one gameshow where there won't be a celebrity version? I can't imagine they could sign up 100.

Another issue being the majority of the cast barely feature in the final edit.

Though, I'm sure if they bring the cast of Coronation Street across the canal, sign up the whole cast of the next Love Island or Big Brother to appear, and then ambush anyone that turns up to 5 Live or BBC Breakfast, you might get to 100!

An interesting look behind the scenes at a new series of Blankety Blank being filmed in Maidstone. I think it was previously filmed in London.

The TikTok algorithm presented it to me from Rob Beckett's feed:

www.tiktok.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • Happy2001

(15-04-2024, 03:54 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  The 1% Club is the biggest gameshow on TV - averaging 5.8m consolidated during the current run - according to this ITV press release.

www.itv.com 

They could put in a celebrity or two out of the 100 in a regular episode, but it’s probably something I’d avoid doing unless to give it a ratings boost if it ever starts to flag.
[-] The following 2 users Like iloveTV1's post:
  • Happy2001, RhysJR

I think the fact it's rating so well shows the public want to see the public on such shows, although I think the success here is more the playalong factor.

I think if they ever went down the special route it might be 100 Nurses, 100 Teachers, 100 Father Christmas's etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly