The TV Gameshow Thread

Seems anything and everything Joel Dommett does gets a second series although it seems most of the shows he presents (Masked Singer aside) tend to bomb. The Masked Dancer did not need a second series and I can't remember much nice being said about In With a Shout last year.

Although it appears Survivor won't be back for a second run (fourth including the ITV run) so that could break the trend.

I was surprised In With A Shout kept its slot. Not a strong enough lead-in to BGT, IMO.

(28-04-2024, 12:51 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  I was surprised In With A Shout kept its slot. Not a strong enough lead-in to BGT, IMO.

Agree, I really don’t understand why it isn’t swapped round with In For A Penny

Or moved to Sunday to give the night at least an hour of original pre-watershed content. Like with Moneyball and Sitting on a Fortune though it feels like it was only recommissioned to save face.

I get the idea that commissioning a second series of something may be more appealing than risking yet another new format, but they need to have enough promise in the first series so that with a few tweaks they can improve things second time around, and I didn't really see anything in In with a Shout to suggest that.

I guess having lost it's winter slot to Wheel of Fortune this year Catchphrase might get an airing in the autumn instead. I would assume Wheel of Fortune will get a second series to air next year, and it's probably better as fodder against Gladiators than wasting Catchphrase in the slot.

In With a Shout’s ratings were actually okay last year. Nothing amazing but reasonable, overnight series average was 2.1m (18%) and that’s pulled down by Eurovision night. It was generally around a 19/20% share and 2.3/2.4m otherwise. Not brilliant but for a new format, enough to give it a second shot. Certainly better than Moneyball ever did.

It didn’t do particularly well last week but it was against the football and In For a Penny did even worse so will need to see how it holds up. It tended to grow out of Penny (which doesn’t do particularly well) last year so I can see why they kept them this way around. Although the whole schedule has shifted 30 minutes earlier this year so it’s still on pretty early for the time of year.

I don’t think it would suit Sundays very well and I think broadcasters generally would rather put shows where they’ll do best rather than trying to make sure they fill slots every night.

The Sunday lineup is definitely weak though. Family Fortunes must have been pushed back. They do seem to be juggling things around and running a bit less than they normally would at the moment due to the downturn in the advertising market. For example I’m pretty sure they’d have originally intended to be stripping a 4 part drama next week where they’re instead stripping 4 (notably not 5) episodes of Celebrity Beat the Chasers, which normally air self-contained.

Indeed I wouldn’t be surprised if those Celeb Chasers episodes have been lifted from the Sunday 8pm slot, hence Millionaire repeats going there instead. That slot will be quite disrupted in May by BGT anyway which will need 2 or 3 Sunday episodes this year as it started later and there’s a Women’s England match during the live week so they’ll probably need a Sunday semi final.

The afternoon lineup is another area of cost cutting. All on repeats at the moment, including the same episodes of Lingo again and again and using axed quiz Winning Combination. They’ve not shown any new episodes of Lingo in well over a year even though they’ve got them recorded. I notice no decision on Jeopardy yet either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Score's post:
  • Happy2001

Is the BGT live week perhaps coming for the first week of June? Unless they’ve cut an auditions episode, which they don’t really have a reason to do so, they surely would’ve doubled up this weekend if they were planning on another Sunday episode.

There’s two England matches on that week (the Monday and Friday), but Channel 4 shows them now if I remember correctly.

The Sunday schedule is a bit weird although in a way I think it’s better to repeat Deal or No Deal so it can perhaps find people who don’t watch TV during the day. Better than airing repeats of The Chase at least. Putting In For a Shout on Sundays would be, well, a shout, I can see that and In For a Penny really suffering if the weather improves in the next few weeks.

(28-04-2024, 10:25 AM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Is the BGT live week perhaps coming for the first week of June? Unless they’ve cut an auditions episode, which they don’t really have a reason to do so, they surely would’ve doubled up this weekend if they were planning on another Sunday episode.

There’s two England matches on that week (the Monday and Friday), but Channel 4 shows them now if I remember correctly.

The Sunday schedule is a bit weird although in a way I think it’s better to repeat Deal or No Deal so it can perhaps find people who don’t watch TV during the day. Better than airing repeats of The Chase at least. Putting In For a Shout on Sundays would be, well, a shout, I can see that and In For a Penny really suffering if the weather improves in the next few weeks.
England women are playing on the 31st May and 4th June so if that’s the case then the 4th will end up on ITV4. Both against France - 31st at St James Park in Newcastle and the 4th in Saint-Étienne.

Sitting On A Fortune deserved another series but as was mentioned ages ago it could have been the case that ITV had to recommission both it and Moneyball or end up with neither, which wasn't worth it again as the latter flopped in an easy summer slot and was giving away too much money for a filler show.

Jeopardy as with Wheel of Fortune I can't see not being recommissioned partly because of the talent involved. Who knows what the deal is with them given there seemed to be strict demands from Sony as to what could be done with them. Fortunately though it never paid off. They probably would get second series anyway as most shows that perform OK nowadays do so, talking of which Riddiculous has had its second series and I think that will be it.

ITV may hold off on commissioning more "intelligent" quizzes because of poor returns but it's clear from recent commissioning that they want some variety. I can't see them doing another puzzle based show so do they reboot Golden Balls? But then that's also like what they're doing with The Genius Game, Fortune Hotel etc.

(28-04-2024, 11:05 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  England women are playing on the 31st May and 4th June so if that’s the case then the 4th will end up on ITV4. Both against France - 31st at St James Park in Newcastle and the 4th in Saint-Étienne.

I was referring to the men’s team.

(28-04-2024, 01:08 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  I was referring to the men’s team.

ITV currently have the rights to England Women's games which is the game that would be the potential clash with BGT.