The TV Gameshow Thread

There's an episode of their run of Friends Like These on the iPlayer if that counts.

In fact, I'm sure UK Gold repeated at least one series of that before they became comedy only.

(29-04-2024, 09:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Ant and Dec formats don't tend to get repeated. I'm not sure any of their previous gameshows have aired at all since their original run.

None have, although they have repeated Limitless Win on ITV2 a bit recently in the weekday 7pm slot.

(29-04-2024, 09:37 PM)James2001 Wrote:  There's an episode of their run of Friends Like These on the iPlayer if that counts.

In fact, I'm sure UK Gold repeated at least one series of that before they became comedy only.
Challenge aired it for a while in the early 10s, there’s a few episodes on YouTube (such as this) that have the Challenge DOG:

youtube.com 

Here, they sign off with “next time” rather than “next Saturday”.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TVFan's post:
  • Happy2001

(29-04-2024, 09:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Ant and Dec formats don't tend to get repeated. I'm not sure any of their previous gameshows have aired at all since their original run.
Mainly because their ITV gameshow formats they’ve presented have either been event television where you need to watch every night or at least the end of the series, with limited runs or rubbish or both in the case of Red & Black. I think Limitless Win is probably the only one that work on Challenge.

That shows it's been repeated! I'm pretty sure UK Gold did at one point in the mid-00s as well, the same time they seemed to be trying to branch out a bit more beyond drama and comedy (which lasted about as long as their flirtation with US sitcoms around 10 years back) and showed The Weakest Link as well (again, I seem to remember only the first series and some of the primetime and celebrity editions).

Ant and Dec always seem to give off the vibe that they want to protect their legacy and perhaps with SNT, PokerFace, Push The Button and Limitless Win being produced by companies they own, there are agreements in place that they don't end up as filler or are constantly repeated after their initial runs. It would make sense why they bought the rights to Byker Grove so that too doesn't end up on a loop somewhere and also focus isn't taken away from their current projects.
[-] The following 2 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay

I wasn't sure whether to post this here of in the main ITV thread, so please feel free to move this, Mods.

My partner was watching a live stream on YouTube this past Sunday from one of the many Disney Park streamers, and while they were hanging out at the glass-blowing demonstration in the Crystal Arts shop at Magic Kingdom in Disney World, low and behold, outside was Stephen Mulhern and the In for a Penny film crew.

You can see it below at 3hrs 29mins exactly.

www.youtube.com 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 4 users Like MorganLamia's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001, Nobby, TVFan

Wasn't it a bit of a tabloid myth that they bought Byker Grove to keep it off the air?

(30-04-2024, 11:27 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Wasn't it a bit of a tabloid myth that they bought Byker Grove to keep it off the air?
I think it had more to do with Zenith going bust. Potentially the back catalogue could have been brought from the administrators by anyone.

Given that they were probably two of the most famous people to start their careers on it they might not have wanted others to profit from reshowing clips of their scenes, and possibly outtakes. It also ensured that the episodes weren't completely lost, with the theoretical potential for them to be repeated in the future, and having some control over any rebooted series.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Yeah, I'd have thought the reason it's not repeated is simply because - what 30 year old kids shows DO get repeated? They're pretty rare, especially live action ones. In fact the only recent example I can think of is a few shows (Power Rangers and some Nickelodeon sitcoms) turning up on one of the Trace music channels. It's probably as simple as nobody wants to show Byker Grove - nor CBBC's other long runner Grange Hill.