The TV Gameshow Thread

I don't know if it was the three year hiatus, or the fact Tim Champion completed the course in series 5 meaning that the "can anyone do the impossible" aspect was gone, but series 6, Race for Glory, just wasn't as successful as the first five runs. The viewing figures tell the story.
en.wikipedia.org 

Series 6 was just a poor reworking of the format. The Gladiator style aspect of the house ninjas just didn't work at all and everything being a race with the winner progressing stripped away the idea people compete against the course rather than each other.

If it were to be revived they need to return more to the original format. Not sure it does warrant being revived again but in theory it would be good complementary scheduling to Strictly.

(02-05-2024, 02:16 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  I don't know if it was the three year hiatus, or the fact Tim Champion completed the course in series 5 meaning that the "can anyone do the impossible" aspect was gone, but series 6, Race for Glory, just wasn't as successful as the first five runs. The viewing figures tell the story.
en.wikipedia.org 

Worth bearing in mind that the first five series went out at 7pm, two of which were in the prime Winter period, but the Race for Glory series aired at 5.30pm, and some episodes aired even earlier during the period after The Queen died.

ITV confirms that a new series of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? will be commissioned later this year, with applications open from now to be eligible: www.tvzoneuk.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like SuperSajuuk's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Juicy Joe

A few pilots leaking lately - here is Paul O'Grady's Generation Game from 2004.

youtu.be 

Thanks to Daniel Hurst.

I think you could tell throughout that Paul didn't really enjoy it in the most part. It seemed way too staged and scripted in most of the creative parts and therefore restricted Paul with his usual off the cuff spontaneous persona.

Also interesting that Peter Dickson completely took over the whole end segment with the Conveyor Belt. Almost as if there was no trust in Paul to being able to host that segment at all.

I think from being able to watch the whole thing now you could possibly see why Paul didn't agree to continue hosting this revival.
[-] The following 2 users Like RDJ's post:
  • Brekkie, callumwatchestelly

It feels very dated and slow even compared to the 90s version and can see why it didn't go any further. The conveyor belt just being a VT they watch on a screen fees wrong too, though think the alternating answers was new way to do it.

Any idea where it was filmed - assume somewhere in TVC but not TC1. Seems quite a small audience.

Tonight’s Beat the Chasers was brand new, but actually made in 2021

It wasn’t part of the same series as the other three episodes shown this week that were made in 2023

Why was it in the vault for so long?

(09-05-2024, 10:50 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Tonight’s Beat the Chasers was brand new, but actually made in 2021

It wasn’t part of the same series as the other three episodes shown this week that were made in 2023

They'd get away with it if the Chasers weren't sat in a different order to the previous episodes.

How has it been rating this week? Given what ITV1 gets at 9pm nowadays I suspect the afternoon show might beat it.