The TV Gameshow Thread

Let’s not forget Jeremy punched a producer in the Top Gear days and he’s still on the telly…. So I don’t think Millionaire will be affected.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary Baldy's post:
  • Brekkie

The difficulty with Millionaire is, it’s as much a vehicle (no pun intended) for Clarkson these days as it an important show for ITV.

I think if you give Clarkson programmes, you’ve got to expect he’ll cross the line every so often.

I also think the fact they’ve already recorded episodes means they’ll show them anyway and by the time any yet to be recorded episodes go out everyone will have forgotten about it.

Best thing ITV can do is say nothing and not get involved and either let someone else make the first move, or nobody makes the first move and it all blows over

Kevin Lygo has said that Clarkson will continue on WWTBAM.
[-] The following 5 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman, Juicy Joe, Roger Darthwell, thomash79

He used the phrase "at the moment" - www.theguardian.com 

I'm wary of reading too much into this, it might not mean anything. But it doesn't seem to be the most watertight statement...
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001

If ITV can stand by Ferne McCann and her recent controversy then Clarkson is easy. I’m not sure they even issued a statement on her.

(22-12-2022, 10:50 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  If ITV can stand by Ferne McCann and her recent controversy then Clarkson is easy. I’m not sure they even issued a statement on her.

I have no idea what controversy you are even referring to, so I’m not sure the two are comparable.

(22-12-2022, 12:06 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(22-12-2022, 10:50 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  If ITV can stand by Ferne McCann and her recent controversy then Clarkson is easy. I’m not sure they even issued a statement on her.

I have no idea what controversy you are even referring to, so I’m not sure the two are comparable.
If you don’t know what I’m even referring to, then you can’t say if they’re comparable. 

I guess the better comparison is Piers. And this Meghan comment wasn’t said on ITV. Plus Jeremy sort-of apologized. I think if advertisers had issues with Millionaire then I would reassess my view that Clarkson will survive.

(22-12-2022, 01:47 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  
(22-12-2022, 12:06 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I have no idea what controversy you are even referring to, so I’m not sure the two are comparable.
If you don’t know what I’m even referring to, then you can’t say if they’re comparable. 

I guess the better comparison is Piers. And this Meghan comment wasn’t said on ITV. Plus Jeremy sort-of apologized. I think if advertisers had issues with Millionaire then I would reassess my view that Clarkson will survive.

Yeah, the power of advertisers is strong. That's how the News of the World newspaper met it's demise, there was a scandal, advertisers withdrew, and it suddenly went from the best selling Sunday paper to folding. Though News Corp did replace it with The Sun on Sunday a year later. Obviously ITV can't afford anything similar happening, so if advertisers hint at withdrawing, the offending person would immediately get the chop and be disassociated with the company. Clarkson doesn't seem to be in that severe a situation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some on Twitter started tweeting major advertisers telling them to boycott ITV or else they will boycott their products, like what happened when they tried to bring down GB News