The TV Gameshow Thread

(13-01-2024, 08:03 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  That would maybe one revival too far

x.com 

Spoke too soon. They are looking to revive Hole in the Wall.

www.tvzoneuk.com 

Today's Winning Combination proves why the "correct at the time of recording" disclaimer is needed. One of the questions was about Prince Charles' titles, which gave away the fact it's a repeat from before he became King. If that question was used now it would be asking about William. The correct answers were Prince of Wales, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Cornwall, and Earl of Chester, all of which are now William's titles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • DE88

Lingo will return for a fourth series, and will have a minor format change. The show will now have a 'winner stays on' format - no wording on how many episodes will be the maximum for a pair.

Is the Ben Shephard named from the production comapny the Ben Shephard of fellow ITV daytime outlets This Morning and Tipping Point? Or is that name just a coincidence?

www.dock10.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Happy2001

(21-04-2024, 08:35 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Lingo will return for a fourth series, and will have a minor format change. The show will now have a 'winner stays on' format - no wording on how many episodes will be the maximum for a pair.

Is the Ben Shephard named from the production comapny the Ben Shephard of fellow ITV daytime outlets This Morning and Tipping Point? Or is that name just a coincidence?

www.dock10.co.uk 

Yes indeed, it is the same Ben.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary Baldy's post:
  • RhysJR

I think they've still got half of series 3 to show too.

(21-04-2024, 09:57 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think they've still got half of series 3 to show too.

The dock10 article above says right at the end that the end of series 3 will air in the autumn.

(21-04-2024, 10:03 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The dock10 article above says right at the end that the end of series 3 will air in the autumn.

That article is from July 2023! So they’ve definitely pushed it back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Score's post:
  • Happy2001

(21-04-2024, 08:35 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Lingo will return for a fourth series, and will have a minor format change. The show will now have a 'winner stays on' format - no wording on how many episodes will be the maximum for a pair.

www.dock10.co.uk 
I was going to say they must've got that idea from Jeopardy! - but if the article is from last year, it predates that show's UK revival. Of course, it was a thing on Blockbusters too, 40 years ago.

Sorry for the out of date info, though I don't remember seeing those factoids before.

The likes of Countdown another example - that's why I wondered if there would be a limit on the number of appearances. I think it could change the dynamic of the show quite a bit, and would probably make it a littl less repeatbale.

(21-04-2024, 10:58 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Sorry for the out of date info, though I don't remember seeing those factoids before.

The likes of Countdown another example - that's why I wondered if there would be a limit on the number of appearances. I think it could change the dynamic of the show quite a bit, and would probably make it a littl less repeatbale.

We're assuming here Lingo uses the traditional "winner stays on" format to fill the time available, such as Countdown does.

Blockbusters was slightly different that you stayed on until you had attempted five (later three, then back to five for the revivals) gold runs and then you were out. this could (and quite often did) happen mid show, so you weren't guaranteed a certain number of episodes (heck if you were unlucky enough you didn't even last to the next commercial break!) There must be more than one example of a show that changed its contestants from one end of the show to the other like this surely? Millionaire is the other obvious example I can think of.

It's plausible Lingo could follow that by reducing the amount of padding so they get to the final game quicker, then going back and starting again, but its more likely to be the Countdown model.

That being said, self contained episodes was the the norm for a long while, as you can just air them in any order, it doesn't matter. Wonder if this is another shift in tone for this genre? It seems to work for Pointless.

As for limits on appearances - well there was the case of Ian from Hemel Hempstead who they had to change the rules on 100% for to get rid of him and introduce a limit when there wasn't one previously.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • RhysJR