Infrastructure for the 1993 Franchise Launch

It might be hidden away now, but the NTL Pension Association site had a video from the 90s showing exactly what NTL had built for Westcountry. Lots of microwave links between the sub regions, Plymouth, Cardiff and the transmitters. Perhaps that's what you remember seeing?

from memory it didn't go into huge detail about the opts (though it did show a network map with Plymouth as the nerve centre) but it did point out that the use of digital video compression meant that there was spare capacity that WC used for internal data and phone links too.

Would also explain any mistakes prior to 1993, since each transmitter would have both WC/NTL and TSW/BT feeds available.

Another interesting point of comparison with HTV - as Andrew Wiseman's page points out, they claimed that PDC (programme delivery control) was unreliable, yet (I presume in their role as playout contractor) speedily provided a working system to Westcountry to make them the first ITV region to switch it on.
[-] The following 2 users Like i.h's post:
  • lookoutwales, Stooky Bill

Yes that is the video I remember seeing, can't find it now. There is a large lattice tower next to their studios which I think was for their microwave links.

Westcountry were first with PDC and also ancillary (p600) teletext. The first time I saw Westcountry was on holiday (to Wales oddly enough) in summer 1993 and they already had theirs up and running, long before Carlton and LWT had theirs.

The attitude to PDC would have been up to the decision of the lead engineer of the station, so playout provider is irrelevant, they provided what their customer asked for.

Yes the accidental early broadcast of Westcountry was because both were available at the transmitters. I wonder if they put the new distribution on a switch alongside the existing, and then it was changed too early? They might even have put them either side of an auto changeover as main/reserve for the changeover. I can't imagine sending staff to the sites on new years eve to do the changeover was a good plan
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales

(20-01-2024, 11:55 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Carlton and GMTV could be certain as it come from Kent house LWT operations where already in full swing. Meridian took over Southampton TVS offices so again they would be sure.

The one company which could appeal to this "Westcountry" as it was coming from outside the area.

Yes, the LNN transmission suite at LWT was pretty much fully operational about a month before the actual date and rehearsals were in full swing, as indeed were LNN News. GMTV were also rehearsing (in real time as I recall) a few weeks before coming on air. Carlton of course only had a promotions suite at LWT and TX their tapes were handed over to LNN for transmission or programming actually broadcast live as required (obviously).

(21-01-2024, 12:14 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Bear in mind video recordings of these handovers are exaggerated - it wouldn't have been that obvious at the time on a TV set.

As to how long Thames kept "broadcasting" - probably no longer than they really had to, wouldn't be surprised if they ceased transmission at one minute past midnight.

There were a couple of videos posted on Twitter/X/whatever its called this week that was recorded on Thames's final night as viewed from the broadcast gallery, but as you can't do anything on X now without signing up, can't look to find them. I can't remember if the output screen was captured after midnight on those videos.

Thames could continue 'broadcasting' as long as they liked after midnight. Their legal licence/ franchise to broadcast stopped abruptly at midnight so it wouldn't have gone anywhere.

(22-01-2024, 01:37 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  Yes, the LNN transmission suite at LWT was pretty much fully operational about a month before the actual date and rehearsals were in full swing, as indeed were LNN News. GMTV were also rehearsing (in real time as I recall) a few weeks before coming on air. Carlton of course only had a promotions suite at LWT and TX their tapes were handed over to LNN for transmission or programming actually broadcast live as required (obviously).
Presumably they ran the suite in parallel with ITV as if it was on air with the same network programmes that were actually going out on Thames, LWT and TVam? The same over at HTV for Westcountry?

(21-01-2024, 11:16 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  One story about the GMTV launch I do recall reading on TVF or TVLF was that great effort was made to install a real fire in The London Studios as part of the original backdrop - it was swiftly dropped when the original GMTV format flopped.

It wasn't a real fire! It was gas flame effect fire.

(22-01-2024, 02:59 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Presumably they ran the suite in parallel with ITV as if it was on air with the same network programmes that were actually going out on Thames, LWT and TVam? The same over at HTV for Westcountry?

Too long ago for me to remember. I seem to vaguely recall it was the same TX rehearsal schedule everyday - one of the programme tapes was a little 'racy' perhaps that's why I remember it. They could have operated it along the lines you say but I don't particularly remember that. I know nothing of HTV or Westcountry I'm afraid.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bluecortina's post:
  • AndrewP, Stooky Bill, VMPhil

(22-01-2024, 04:09 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  It wasn't a real fire! It was gas flame effect fire.

Sorry! That is what I meant but yes I wasn't specific enough... a wood burning stove would have been quite the thing to install in a TV studio!!

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(22-01-2024, 01:37 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  Yes, the LNN transmission suite at LWT was pretty much fully operational about a month before the actual date and rehearsals were in full swing, as indeed were LNN News. GMTV were also rehearsing (in real time as I recall) a few weeks before coming on air.

Seem to recall some footage of those GMTV rehearsals went out on a Carlton show in 2002 - 'Screen Tests of the Stars' with Paul O'Grady (unfortunately, not on YT)

Think Eammon Holmes made mention that they were still not ready (in terms of format and content) by the time they launched.

(22-01-2024, 04:24 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Sorry! That is what I meant but yes I wasn't specific enough... a wood burning stove would have been quite the thing to install in a TV studio!!
Difficult enough with a gas fire. IIRC they had to put a flue through the roof.

(22-01-2024, 04:09 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  Too long ago for me to remember. I seem to vaguely recall it was the same TX rehearsal schedule everyday - one of the programme tapes was a little 'racy' perhaps that's why I remember it.
Well if you're going to run a fake schedule then you may as well fill it with something entertaining!

Incidently I was there for the first pilot of Channel 5's TX suite and the first programme they played was an old Thames programme. It got a cheer in the suite when the ident at the beginning played
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales

(22-01-2024, 04:24 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Sorry! That is what I meant but yes I wasn't specific enough... a wood burning stove would have been quite the thing to install in a TV studio!!

Yorkshire TV: hold my beer

www.youtube.com 

No idea how they managed that at Kirkstall Road though!

(Edit: swapping for an earlier edition before it became an indie using an external studio)

(22-01-2024, 07:09 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Difficult enough with a gas fire. IIRC they had to put a flue through the roof.

Well if you're going to run a fake schedule then you may as well fill it with something entertaining!

Incidently I was there for the first pilot of Channel 5's TX suite and the first programme they played was an old Thames programme. It got a cheer in the suite when the ident at the beginning played

Yes, out the roof or the far LHS of the studio wall. Perhaps there are some contemporary pictures of the studio which may show it if you are interested to look.