The Traitors

I really think the show would benefit from a sabotage element too - i.e. a separate traitor only prize fund they add to by making sure the Faithfuls don’t get to it in the challenges. The challenges can be the weakest part of the episodes imo so I think they could do with making it a bit more exciting.

It’s a marvellous format but I think it’s a bit clear that it’s a diluted version of The Mole that makes it easier to follow for the viewer and more appealing to the networks because they have a bit more control on what happens to guarantee a certain run.

(26-01-2024, 02:00 AM)XIII Wrote:  Is it bad that I want The Traitors to win? I wouldn't mind if the Faithfuls win this time but it would more satisfying if a Traitor or Traitors succeed in fooling everyone.

Not at all - it's just a game, and Harry has largely played it well. He did get a bit too cocky this week but his work previously in the game has seen him get away with a couple of moves he really shouldn't have.

Jaz is the only one on to him, and for me the only two satisfying outcomes are either Harry winning or Jaz winning as part of the Faithfuls. I think Mollie might get her heart broken a bit tonight.

The least satisfying outcome is probably Andrew winning alone, although he has really upped his game the last coupe of days and shown he is willing to get Harry out.

What will be interesting is should the traitors make the final two whether they do the Traitors Dilemma - the reality TV "split or steal" favourite. For me this is where it fits the format, but having no winner at all can mean it ends on a downer, even if it would mean an increased knitwear budget for Claudia next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

(26-01-2024, 09:56 AM)orange Wrote:  I really think the show would benefit from a sabotage element too - i.e. a separate traitor only prize fund they add to by making sure the Faithfuls don’t get to it in the challenges. The challenges can be the weakest part of the episodes imo so I think they could do with making it a bit more exciting.

I can’t figure out any way this would either work or add to the show. The challenges allow traitors to build a ‘team player’ narrative. Someone like Harry deliberately sabotaging a challenge would stick out like a sore thumb. It’s great that The Mole has a format point that works for them - that doesn’t mean every other show has to adopt it.

I think this series has been fun for wild theories being created that ultimately don’t come to pass - the Ross revenge arc, Jaz being a super sleuth but not actually catching a Traitor… I suspect tonight’s finale might feel a bit flat as a result.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • Brekkie, UTVLifer

I don't think Harry or Andrew would be brave enough to 'steal' considering they would be the subject of constant media attention and the group will keep in touch long after the show ends rather than a show like Golden Balls or Divided where the contestants are just strangers for a few hours one day and then go their seperate ways out of the studio doors

I will prepare myself to be surprised however

(26-01-2024, 11:08 AM)all new phil Wrote:  I can’t figure out any way this would either work or add to the show. The challenges allow traitors to build a ‘team player’ narrative. Someone like Harry deliberately sabotaging a challenge would stick out like a sore thumb. It’s great that The Mole has a format point that works for them - that doesn’t mean every other show has to adopt it.

That is absolutely fair enough - and is probably a result of me itching for a bit more gameplay or something like The Mole UK to come back along.

I thought it might be an interesting element to introduce - they’re wanting a steal aspect I suppose (i.e. Harry being offered £7K) but I think this game is a bit too nice for that and the last two series when a player has been offered money to take home (and honestly the amounts offered have been a bit meh) the result is always the player going “No thanks I’m part of a team Smile”.

I just crave something a smidge more exciting game wise - the format is great but as someone that’s used to gameplay formats like these it’s a little paint by numbers I suppose. I do think it’s a great show to introduce the UK public to more gameplay oriented formats though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes orange's post:
  • all new phil

If you're itcing for a fix of The Mole a wonderful person called Marieke uploads the Dutch version (Wie is de Mol) with full English subtitles to YouTube (actually done manually rather than the rather useless 'auto translate')

www.youtube.com 

S18-S19-S20-Anniversary (former candidates)-S21-S22-S23-S24 (currently airing) are the ones I've watched but there are some other seasons too if you get through all that!

(Just a word of warning S20E10 finale between 26:10 - 26:40 contains MAJOR SPOILERS revealing every previous Mole from every season before that! And obviously the Anniversary season links back to previous candidates although I don't think any were a previous Mole)

De Mol (Belgian version) is even better still, but harder to watch as that TV company aren't as happy with their episodes on YouTube so you either have to follow some sneaky links to alternative file download sites to find the videos with English subtitles or download your own copy of the videos from somewhere without the subtitles and then add them yourself using SRT files that the translators have kindly put together

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johnr's post:
  • orange

It's a great format, but from a TV production point of view I'm fascinated by the many points where there's the potential for it to 'go wrong'. They cast very well. I know they have contracts etc. but I'm always expecting someone to just blurt it out and take others down with them - which is sort of what happened in the final last year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alessi's post:
  • orange, UTVLifer

It's surprising to me just how much time the ITV Daytime shows have given to The Traitors over the last few weeks after all four of them ignored Big Brother last autumn for the entire 6 week run

I think it's probably down to the fact The Traitors is becoming more popular than ITV's Big Brother and Love Island, to be honest.

It's what it feels like to me.
[-] The following 2 users Like JustJamie's post:
  • ethanjbrady, orange

(26-01-2024, 12:19 PM)Alessi Wrote:  It's a great format, but from a TV production point of view I'm fascinated by the many points where there's the potential for it to 'go wrong'. They cast very well. I know they have contracts etc. but I'm always expecting someone to just blurt it out and take others down with them - which is sort of what happened in the final last year.
I dare say that at the round table between them getting voted for and revealing if they're a faithful/traitor there may be a short break, where someone from the production team reminds them that in their final speech "they must not name others" or similar. There's nothing they can do to stop a traitor voting for another traitor though, which depending on the outcome may hint to others.

I imagine that good casting also has a lot to do with the show working. It allows for a diverse selection of contestants who'll hopefully come across well on TV, as well as selecting an initial two/three of traitors who'll hopefully carry the role well. Also, providing support to the contestants before and during the filming to ensure that none of them have to be removed due to something they've said or done (ala C4 era Big Brother).

I'm guessing the programme's format has to have a certain element of flexibility within it, to allow producers to adapt plans depending upon how things progress. For instance, if they got to just one traitor remaining too early they might opt to get them to 'recruit and then murder'. That way bring it back up to two traitors, without others realising a recruitment had occurred due someone else being 'murdered'.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • UTVLifer