Alison Hammond: For the Love of Dogs

Alison Hammond has been confirmed as the new host of For the Love of Dogs following Paul O’Grady’s passing last year

x.com 

Alison is a commendable choice; nevertheless, it might have been more fitting for Julian Clary or Alan Carr.

(30-01-2024, 02:12 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Alison is a commendable choice; nevertheless, it might have been more fitting for Julian Clary or Alan Carr.

Because they're gay? Let's just give her a crack and see how she fairs, she might be good at it.
[-] The following 7 users Like Mike's post:
  • Critique, Jayesyn, JK08, Pips2022, SlimyTrain, turbolazer, UTVLifer

The priority is that the presenter is popular and gets on well with pooches. Not that they're a gay man like Paul was. Let's face it, Julian Clary doesn't fit the "popular" criteria, unlike Alison who's well liked on This Morning. And for all you know, both he and Alan Carr might not be dog lovers.
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • Mike, UTVLifer

(30-01-2024, 02:48 PM)Mike Wrote:  Because they're gay? Let's just give her a crack and see how she fairs, she might be good at it.

No. Don’t you dare imply that. I simply said that because they are well known, loveable presenters and seem like the right fit. Like I said, Alison is a commendable choice.
[-] The following 8 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, iloveTV1, Roger Darthwell, SB678, thomash79, TJTSW

Understandably the show has a special purpose and it’s a good thing that it’s continuing - in fact I think it’s likely what Paul would’ve wanted - but I still felt a bit odd when I heard the news, it’s not something I ever imagined continuing without him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes orange's post:
  • DE88

(30-01-2024, 05:35 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  No. Don’t you dare imply that. I simply said that because they are well known, loveable presenters and seem like the right fit. Like I said, Alison is a commendable choice.

The point I raised was you - without any context at all - suggested that two gay male presenters (one of whom hasn't really had much of a career in the last few years) would be 'more fitting' to replace the previous LGBT presenter who passed away. It's reminiscent of 'tokenism' is what I was saying - whether you intended that or not, that is how you came across.

Now what I will say about your suggestions, is of course Paul O'Grady was known for his risqué comedy and humour but simply swapping in another gay man with a similar sense of humour almost comes across as a tad crass given the need for a replacement and why that is.

Back to the topic in hand, it's interesting how people are up in arms because she doesn't own a dog and won't 'get down on all 4s and play with the dog' as one social media account has said. Give her a chance...

I think that comes down to how you interpreted it rather than what was written. It's on you rather than them.

Just because Alison doesn't own a dog doesn't mean she doesn't love them. I'm a huge dog lover but haven't been able to have one of my own for the last few years due to my current circumstances. I am glad to see that most accounts were quicker to counter criticism of her getting every job and being on everything by pointing out that she actually only hosts, and pretty much has only hosted, This Morning and Bake Off. And I suspect this gig probably confirmed she won't be hosting This Morning full time in the near future either.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, DeMarkay, PJamo, SlimyTrain, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(31-01-2024, 11:11 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think that comes down to how you interpreted it rather than what was written. It's on you rather than them.

Just because Alison doesn't own a dog doesn't mean she doesn't love them. I'm a huge dog lover but haven't been able to have one of my own for the last few years due to my current circumstances. I am glad to see that most accounts were quicker to counter criticism of her getting every job and being on everything by pointing out that she actually only hosts, and pretty much has only hosted, This Morning and Bake Off. And I suspect this gig probably confirmed she won't be hosting This Morning full time in the near future either.

The short-lived Time It Takes too, plus she was a regular panellists I Can See Your Voice.

I'm not sure it's fair to say Julian Clary hasn't had much of a career, he's still doing stand up and also the Palladium panto every year.
[-] The following 3 users Like XIII's post:
  • DE88, DeMarkay, Gary Baldy