Comic Relief 2024: Lenny Henry hosts for final time

Over £21 million is the total so far, great total for 8.45pm.

£37m at 10pm, £6m up on last years show. Bit of a messy end really to the BBC1 show.

God, I never needed to see those Billy Connelly dancers again... just the once 23 years ago was more than enough.

At least they didn't dig out the clip of the actual Billy streaking through Piccadilly Circus that preceded it...

Surprisingly, Alex Jones has been one of the highlights of the evening, the right amount of cheekiness for Comic Relief.

Thought for a moment that this last segment was live for a change as it was building up to a total, but it turns out to be the total raised over the decades, so clearly pre-recorded as you'd expect these days (unlike the BBC Two part which was live).
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bilky asko, UTVLifer

Agreed. I will always remember where I was the first time I heard Alex Jones say "shitting hell".
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nobby's post:
  • bilky asko

I love a good Pudsey/Comic Relief crossover
[-] The following 2 users Like Tvarchive's post:
  • DeMarkay, UTVLifer

"shitting hell, there's bits everywhere!"

I really liked the bits looking back at previous Comic Relief, although it would have been nicer if it, and Lenny's departure had been next year for their 40th anniversary.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • TheGregmeister

(16-03-2024, 02:54 AM)Tvarchive Wrote:  "shitting hell, there's bits everywhere!"

Quite surprised originally that bit went out just before the break for the news - not so much because of the time but because at that point people tuning in just for the news would have hot an eyeful. Sadly doubt they'd risk that nowadays.

One thing the retrospective highlighted is how Comic Relief had some great sets over the years - I guess it's partly because of outsourcing the BBC and other broadcasters just don't have the in-house set design teams around anymore regularly changing the look of shows.

Of course there is also the image of a telethon especially spending money on a new look every year or two to consider, although how much of the set is actually kept in storage and how much newly built from year to year? I suspect the screens are used in different ways for different projects throughout the year rather than sat in storage collecting dust.

I do think after bring in use since 2019 it's probably time to refresh everything next year - I do think if they can find three faces willing to take it on for the next decade and push them as the new era of Comic Relief it would be great, perhaps hosting alone next year then in future years breaking up into different partnerships and adding more people to the mix.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Transmission

I think what with Lenny leaving this year and the post pandemic fillers, it feels every year has been heavy on the retrospective look back at previous moments in the last few years

Next year they probably need a fresh start and stop showing old clips

There was obviously a reason for it this year, but going forward it just makes the current year look weak in comparison
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • UTVLifer