BBC Choice 2000 Presentation Views

(05-02-2024, 03:36 PM)chris Wrote:  Hang on sec - we’re all forgetting the BBC Two tagging idents!

Ha, they genuinely crossed my mind when I posted that! They were terribly executed and should never have made it to air but there was still at least some semblance of creativity and imagination there.

The Forest ident I'm at pains to even call an ident. Irredeemably awful.

I always quite liked these and the subtle nod to it being the third BBC channel with three objects. The CBBC Choice ones also are cleverly integrated into the theme.

The one with Mr Punch sticks in my mind for some reason
[-] The following 1 user Likes thomalex's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

(05-02-2024, 12:47 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  What did people think of the CBBC On Choice idents? This side of the channel was of course replaced by CBBC and CBeebies in February 2002.

m.youtube.com 

I didn't realise they had their own idents - always assumed they just used rebadged versions of the BBC1/2 idents.

Was never a huge fan of these CBBC idents at launch but they aged remarkably well.

I thought the yellow CBBC idents were rather good in honesty. We didn't get digital TV of any form until well into the 00's so all I ever saw were their appearances on BBC ONE/TWO. They had a joke in them and a catchy tune to end them. Much more than what CITV was offering. I'm surprised to hear that they were not considered good or popular. They occurred around the time I was slowly starting to move away from watching kids/teen programming as I wasn't really the target audience any more so I'll always remember them for that reason. Anything that came after them completely passed me by.
[-] The following 3 users Like rick's post:
  • DJ Dave, insert_good_username_here, Kunst

(05-02-2024, 05:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I didn't realise they had their own idents - always assumed they just used rebadged versions of the BBC1/2 idents.

Was never a huge fan of these CBBC idents at launch but they aged remarkably well.

There is a distinction to be made here - 'CBBC Choice', which used these idents, was a Saturday afternoon strand in the earlier part of BBC Choice's existence.

'CBBC on Choice', on the other hand, was the daytime strand of children's programmes introduced in late 1999 - this used the standard CBBC idents as seen on BBC1/2, badged simply as 'CBBC'.
[-] The following 8 users Like Robert Williams's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, insert_good_username_here, Jonny, Rolling News, Stooky Bill, Tola, WillPS

CBBC on Choice was basically the BBC testing the water for a children’s channel. As stated they used the standard CBBC pres from that era. CBBC on Choice had its own/rebadged contact, it was probably the closest thing to a CBBC Three there ever was, at least in terms of branding.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:

Yes CBBC on Choice was essentially a forerunner to Cbeebies but with zero budget.

The links were done by a CBBC presenter and branded just CBBC. It was a 3 hour block of programmes repeated from 6am to 6pm (or maybe 7pm). Choice's opening time moved from 5pm when it started.

It was never really promoted and I don't think it even appeared in the listings for a while. Even when it did the individual programmes weren't. It had some really obscure shows, like Catapiller Trail though he most notable/interesting thing it showed was that it showed a Christmas edition of Play School on Christmas Day, something thats not normally repeated.

When the kids channels did launch, Cbeebies ended up sharing with BBC Four and the CBBC Channel replaced CBBC on Choice.

----------------

CBBC Choice on Saturday afternoons was a very different thing. Think the idea was to provide an alternative to sport. The main programme was The Dog and Dinosaur Show which was programmes linked by an animated Dog and Dinosaur characters. These were live animated a bit like the Rats character that was on Live and Kicking and pre recorded so was, and looked, very cheap.

The thing it's most remembered for is that it repeated Rentaghost.

The two never co-existed. CBBC on Choice coinsided with the Stuart Murphy repositioning of the main channel, and of course it took over the hours that CBBC Choice was on for
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:

A brief correction (I can't edit my post)... The two did co-exist on Saturdays for a short while.

In this Genome schedule CBBC on Choice is on till 12 when CBBC Choice programmes start.
genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 

There is at least one Saturday when it showed tennis in the morning and displaced CBBC in Choice to only 2 hours

Also the original Choice schedule and CBBC in Choice also overlapped for a bit. Here the children's schedule went on till 5pm.
genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 

When the repositioning happened it was extended to 7pm. Remember that in these days there was no splitting of EPG positions and all this was on the same channel number
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie, insert_good_username_here, Tola

(06-02-2024, 09:12 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Remember that in these days there was no splitting of EPG positions and all this was on the same channel number

There was, just not on DTT (and thus the BBC channels). A number of channels came off air around midnight and their bandwidth was used for adult pay per night services. I have a feeling Living [TV] was one but I might be mixing that up with analogue cable.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:

(06-02-2024, 09:20 AM)WillPS Wrote:  There was, just not on DTT (and thus the BBC channels). A number of channels came off air around midnight and their bandwidth was used for adult pay per night services. I have a feeling Living [TV] was one but I might be mixing that up with analogue cable.
Sorry I meant with the BBC..... the kids and non-kids content on Choice was only seperated by a junction

Yes there were digital channels that were the same thing but timeshifted onto different EPG slots, but the BBC didn’t until CBBC and Cbeebies came along.

It wasn't done on analogue (at least on analogue satellite, I don't know about cable), hence the bizarre situation of having 5 channels on one frequency each for a few hours a day.

[UK] Living [TV] was for a long while TVX over night, on analogue it did go straight from it's schedule to the TVX 10 minute free preview and then after TVX finished it was Tiny Living pre-school programmes! The digital version was split into 2 EPG slots at first, then I think TVX became a totally seperate playout operation as it and Living were on air at the same time