King Charles Breaking News Coverage

(06-02-2024, 03:15 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  In terms of broadcasting 6pm was probably the smoothest time for it be announced.

Would BBC1 have cut into a programme had the announcement come at a non junction time? Or waited till the end of whatever was airing.

Given how it was handled at 6pm, I would guess it would be a 'interrupt this programme' story
[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

I was watching Sky Sports News last night, their 6pm programme, 'Sky Sports News at Six', briefly mentioned King Charles III's cancer diagnosis and mentioned to the viewers that the coverage of the story continues on Sky News, they managed to follow on with their lead story on Christian Horner being investigated by Red Bull.

Thought they handled that well.
[-] The following 3 users Like JamieMurph25's post:
  • chrisherald, lookoutwales, Michael 18

(06-02-2024, 02:58 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  A look behind the scenes on Sky's coverage, with Anna Botting having some wardrobe drama.

twitter.com 

And all that for a completely unnecessary outside broadcast which could have been done from the warmth of the studio. Do they think we might not know who the King is if they're not stood outside the Palace.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice

Compilation of TV channels breaking the news...

youtu.be 
[-] The following 7 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Bluecortina, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, matthieu1221, Michael 18, Transmission

Sky just aired a lovely VT speaking to the general public about their experiences of Cancer amongst their family members.

The coverage might be OTT but it's done what the King wanted, people are talking about it and hopefully getting checked out if they are concerned.

(06-02-2024, 06:24 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Compilation of TV channels breaking the news...

youtu.be 

I only mention it for completeness, C4 News did a one minute announcement at around 1815 to report this news.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bluecortina's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(06-02-2024, 11:07 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Yes, there is an hourly bulletin provided for local radio which they can take instead of doing local bulletins. I think that is the preamble to that which for some reason it went out. I don't think most stations would be taking it normally at 6pm, they'd be doing their local ones

I've just had a listen back to a couple of BBC Local Radio stations, and it sounds like an instruction was sent out to all stations to take the network bulletin. Like you said, the in-count accidentally made it to air on some stations, but it looks like in this case, all stations deferred to London.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 3 users Like BBI45's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice

(06-02-2024, 08:01 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  I've just had a listen back to a couple of BBC Local Radio stations, and it sounds like an instruction was sent out to all stations to take the network bulletin. Like you said, the in-count accidentally made it to air on some stations, but it looks like in this case, all stations deferred to London.

I work for BBC local radio — you’re right — there is a protocol in the event of major breaking news like this to opt in to the network.
[-] The following 6 users Like Connews's post:
  • AndrewP, BBI45, chrisherald, interestednovice, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

(06-02-2024, 08:50 PM)Connews Wrote:  I work for BBC local radio — you’re right — there is a protocol in the event of major breaking news like this to opt in to the network.

What is network in this context? Since all local stations are their own entity, not part-time services opting out of a sustaining feed like on television.

Who would have heard the 18:00 bulletin that seems to have gone out across England on a normal day?

(06-02-2024, 08:50 PM)Connews Wrote:  I work for BBC local radio — you’re right — there is a protocol in the event of major breaking news like this to opt in to the network.

I've worked for community radio stations and we had no "blue light" system. I was presenting one night when news came through that Prince had died and that was from the BBC's website.
[-] The following 3 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice