King Charles Breaking News Coverage

(05-02-2024, 07:43 PM)XIII Wrote:  I'm impressed BBC News still went with regional news, I wonder if they'll continue with other news stories on ITV? I think they should do a shortened bulletin for the regional news though,

While I’d agree that it was the right move to keep the regional news it does seem strange to essentially skip the rest of the international and national stories but to keep the typical filler on the regional programmes that could easily be left for tomorrow.
[-] The following 5 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Frances, interestednovice, Transmission

The breaking news is so important to ITV they’ve now taken an ad break.

I do feel that ITV should have just delayed the Regional News after an initial 10 minute news report. But to cancel it entirely for 90 minutes of rolling news seems an overreaction. Especially considering the BBC managed to fit the rolling news along with other news stories in brief and a weather forecast in 35 minutes.
[-] The following 15 users Like RDJ's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, lookoutwales, Milkshake, Nige, Quantum+83, Reith85, SlimyTrain, strollfan, TJTSW, UTVLifer, XIII

(05-02-2024, 07:37 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  GB News handled it well….Dewbs’ normal cold open was just a few seconds and she handed over to Polly Middlehurst who broke the story then went to Cameron Walker, their royal correspondent, outside Buck House.

I'm not sure Polly Middlehurst did break the news. She said that there will be some significant breaking news from Buckingham Palace regarding a member of the royal family shortly. This was despite it already being 18:00. We could also hear quite a lot of chatter from her earpiece. This probably gives some insight in to what broadcasters, or at least GB News, were told before 18:00.

Here is the video...
www.youtube.com 

(05-02-2024, 07:10 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Note there was still a regional news preview at 5:30 so it was still growing ahead at that point

The news release/statement hit newsrooms around 17:45-ish as I understand it, but it was strictly embargoed until 18:00.

For Sky News radio station subscribers, the IRN flash on Net Newsroom landed at 17:57.

(05-02-2024, 07:47 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I think the BBC got the call right - there's not much more to add at this stage

ITV News just seemed like it's repeating itself. They were right to go to breaking news but there is no more to the story and they need to go to other news.
[-] The following 6 users Like XIII's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, Nige, Reith85, Rolling News

(05-02-2024, 07:32 PM)fusionlad Wrote:  Read the room. This is a huge story, whether you're a fan of the Royals or not.

It doesn't mean the story should be stretched to an hour and half worth of coverage. They really could've and should've done a five minute newsflash at 6pm and went to the Regional News.
[-] The following 2 users Like callumwatchestelly's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisdafur

(05-02-2024, 07:36 PM)Will Wrote:  I imagine the prerecorded editions are probably the issue. Could have all regions do pan-regional live editions though, I suppose.

That's a good point - not sure how much advance notice they had of news coming at 6pm. They should at least try to get a short bulletin at the end of the Evening News.

C4 sensibly holding off till 7pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

Thing is that the BBC have a news channel, so can continue the coverage there. ITV don't and they know that people will turn to Sky or the BBC to find out what's going on when they get home if they're not covering it.

Incidently it's the same on radio, Radio 4 finished their 6 o clock news and went to Just a Minute. 5 Live continued the coverage
[-] The following 7 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Morganeko, UTVLifer

(05-02-2024, 07:49 PM)Nobby Wrote:  I'm not sure Polly Middlehurst did break the news. She said that there will be some significant breaking news from Buckingham Palace regarding a member of the royal family shortly. This was despite it already being 18:00. We could also hear quite a lot of chatter from her earpiece. This probably gives some insight in to what broadcasters, or at least GB News, were told before 18:00.

Here is the video...
www.youtube.com 

Yes, technically she announced there was royal news to break but it was Cameron who actually broke it. However Polly being on duty was useful as she’s an absolute pro at handling these situations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scrotnig's post:
  • fusionlad

(05-02-2024, 07:56 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Thing is that the BBC have a news channel, so can continue the coverage there. ITV don't and they know that people will turn to Sky or the BBC to find out what's going on when they get home if they're not covering it.

Incidently it's the same on radio, Radio 4 finished their 6 o clock news and went to Just a Minute. 5 Live continued the coverage

I don't think it should be at the expense of regional news and especially considering ITV Evening News is an hour long normally so they could have had the breaking news, done the rest of the stories at 6.30pm then done the regional news at 7pm. I would guess that ITV London sharing a studio would be an issue though since they normally prerecord the last bit.
[-] The following 4 users Like XIII's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Superman1986, TJTSW