US - FOX, ESPN & WB unite to create single Streaming Service

ESPN FOX And WB combine to create Super Streamer sports service. After decades of fierce competition. The major sports providers in the US are coming together to create a new single sports streaming service.

The service is scheduled to launch in the fall and will include broadcasts from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and other professional sports leagues, according to a joint news release by the three companies.

NYTIMES: says this is a bid to recapture viewers that have abandoned cable tv.

Seems to me like this is going to drive cordcutting even faster. Im sure paytv providers like Xfinity,Spectrum etc are quaking right now. They tradtionally were able to keep customer because of sports. This is going to drive more and more people to abandon expensive pay-tv packages. Interestingly NBC and CBS is not part of this deal. Likely because Xfinity is owned by Comcast. Of course ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney.

This is a major change in the American tv landscape. They might have major implications in the years to come. Bears watching

www.cnn.com 

abc7.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • EastCoast, RhysJR

It sounds a bit anti-competative to have so many sports rights bound up in a single outlet, I'm surprised it seems to be a done deal and not up for some legal challenge. I suppose if they're keeping their linear sport channels for now that means they're still competing and still making the content available elsewhere

NBC and CBS aren't involved, but what sport do they have? I know NBC is the home of the Olympics over there

Here’s the press release. I can’t see that the competition authorities would be happy with this one, although my reading is that this doesn’t seem to actually involve a merger of the three companies sports operations and is more like a jointly sold bundle.

espnpressroom.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • interestednovice

Yes, it seems the bundle angle is their attempt to get it past regulators.

They have a legitimate argument that bundling separate channels together into a single subscription is no different to how cable companies bundle channels - you pay them once, the correct share of your payment is then paid on to individual channel operators who are part of the bundle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • EastCoast

(07-02-2024, 07:49 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It sounds a bit anti-competative to have so many sports rights bound up in a single outlet, I'm surprised it seems to be a done deal and not up for some legal challenge. I suppose if they're keeping their linear sport channels for now that means they're still competing and still making the content available elsewhere

NBC and CBS aren't involved, but what sport do they have? I know NBC is the home of the Olympics over there

Aside from the Olympics NBC has a stable of sports even though they shut down their stand alone NBC Sports Channel a few years ago. (Having said that, just this week NBC Launched the NBC Sports FAST Channel, supposedly its not carrying live sports as of right now. Could this be a placerholder channel for something in the future.) They currently hold about 48 rights contracts.

Quote:In 2023, NBC Sports continues to be the home to top-tier properties such as Sunday Night Football, PGA TOUR, USGA, LPGA, Premier League, Notre Dame Football, Big Ten Football, Indy 500, Kentucky Derby, NASCAR, MLB, USFL, Tour de France, the French Open and more.
together.nbcuni.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • Stooky Bill

Unsurprisingly, the Justice Department are sniffing around this.

finance.yahoo.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Medianext.MX

Fubo TV is set to sue the new venture

www.cnbc.com