BBC proposal for spin-offs of Radio 1, 2 and 3 on DAB+

(07-02-2024, 11:03 PM)J102B Wrote:  Instead of having to search for a podcast, stations that broadcast them could be better?
Well it's interesting you said that because when I've described Radio 4 to my less enlightened (!) friends they've likened the programmes to podcasts
I think the BBC should really improve advertising its programmes on Radio 4 like they do TV, sometimes it does feels like we're a club that's siloed off..

I realise I've gone off-topic.
To bring it back, I think these new stations are a great idea to bring more ears to the BBC.
I'm sure dance music lovers will appreciate a constant flow of heavy vibe music with no advertisements.
According to some Uber drivers I've had, passengers have asked them to switch station when the advertisements come on the stations

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

(07-02-2024, 11:03 PM)J102B Wrote:  As a teacher, I’m always telling my kids to listen to R1 Relax. I’m a bit perplexed why they are closing the service. I agree that the mental health element is acutely public service.

This week is infact Children's Mental Health Week, which would have been a great opportunity to promote R1 Relax, surely not the best time to announce they are basically cutting their support for the station.
[-] The following 3 users Like ACTV's post:
  • interestednovice, J102B, Toby brown

(08-02-2024, 12:43 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  I'm sure dance music lovers will appreciate a constant flow of heavy vibe music.
I see you, Rocky Flintstone! 🤣
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • AndrewP

I’m curious with these new services how many of them are “live” as it comes to presentation? Or is it someone recording a bunch of links (if they have them) and just program the playlist?

In the US the only channel we get is BBC World Service on SiriusXM. However BBC Sounds is capable with CarPlay so I assume those without DAB+ in the UK can listen that way.

(13-02-2024, 12:37 AM)rkolsen Wrote:  I’m curious with these new services how many of them are “live” as it comes to presentation? Or is it someone recording a bunch of links (if they have them) and just program the playlist?

In the US the only channel we get is BBC World Service on SiriusXM. However BBC Sounds is capable with CarPlay so I assume those without DAB+ in the UK can listen that way.

There tends not to be much voice tracking on the main BBC networks (where a presenter just records the links and they are then added to the programme).

I expect the new services will feature some live shows simulcast with the main station (as is the case with Radio 1 Dance/Relax now - Radio 1’s Chillest Show goes out on Radio 1 and Radio 1 Relax), with most other programmes being repeats of programmes from the main station (eg a weekday evening repeat of Sounds of the 60s/70s) or cheap and cheerful ‘playlist’ programmes, that may well be voicetracked (lots of those played out overnight and presumably largely aimed at the Sounds audience).

How much proper exclusive live radio will be on them is up for speculation - will presumably very much depend on budget. I’d guess a show or two a day, but that’s just a hunch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LargelyALurker's post:
  • Medianext.MX

Tony Blackburn has taken over Radio 2 this morning in some weird pirate radio thing and is playing old music.

Presumably this is to do with the new Radio 2 spin-off station.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(28-03-2024, 10:06 AM)Moz Wrote:  Tony Blackburn has taken over Radio 2 this morning in some weird pirate radio thing and is playing old music.

Presumably this is to do with the new Radio 2 spin-off station.

It's to mark 60 years since the start of Radio Caroline.

radiotoday.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Happy2001

(28-03-2024, 10:13 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's to mark 60 years since the start of Radio Caroline.

radiotoday.co.uk 

Ah ok. You’d have thought they’d have taken the opportunity to launch Radio 2 Gold*

*my name prediction - along with Radio 1 Fresh and Radio 3 Relax

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(28-03-2024, 10:29 AM)Moz Wrote:  Ah ok. You’d have thought they’d have taken the opportunity to launch Radio 2 Gold*

*my name prediction - along with Radio 1 Fresh and Radio 3 Relax

I was thinking about this last night.

Agree that Radio 3 could be Relax.

I thought if 4 Extra is staying then just have Radio 2/3/4/5 Extra (just to satisfy my need for uniformity). But also thought Radio 1 Decades / Radio 2 Decades have a decent ring to it and considering their specific focus. It also leaves some ambiguity if the focus changes later on.

Think global would have an issue with Gold branding.

Hard to see the plans for Four Extra fully closing happening for at least a while with all the expansions happening. Linear radio content seems to holding up well fairly well in terms of demand across the sector.