Michael McIntyre's Big Show

I couldn't find an existing thread for this - I know there's been a bit of jiggery-pokery with the episodes of the Big Show.

However, I noticed tonight what seemed to be overly heavy promotion of AJ Odudu's Google Pixel phone and its durability. It seems odd that this didn't seem to trigger any issues within the BBC, considering she appeared in Google's advertising very heavily.

I wonder if it will cause problems for the BBC - I'm sure there'll be complaints at the very least.
[-] The following 3 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Joe, Nobby, RhysJR

(10-02-2024, 10:09 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  I couldn't find an existing thread for this - I know there's been a bit of jiggery-pokery with the episodes of the Big Show.

However, I noticed tonight what seemed to be overly heavy promotion of AJ Odudu's Google Pixel phone and its durability. It seems odd that this didn't seem to trigger any issues within the BBC, considering she appeared in Google's advertising very heavily.

I wonder if it will cause problems for the BBC - I'm sure there'll be complaints at the very least.

I've just watched now and have to agree it was very close to the line, and quite possibly over it with AJ's connection to the brand. It was a bit odd for Michael to ask about the brand name, I guess it was a leading question to get AJ to mention her issues with dropping her phone, but it could have been worded a bit better like 'I've heard you keep having a problem with your phone?'

I haven't documented this, but was the first time Send to All hadn't used a iPhone? My Samsung/Android can't do it, so that would make sense. The last two weeks have used WhatsApp rather than the messaging app for the first time I think as well.

AJ's Google Pixel 7 Pro would be a bit old hat since the Pixel 8 line has been released.

I thought exactly the same - it seemed really odd. She clearly only threw the phone to demonstrate it’s durability and there’s surely no way she broke her phone screen five days in a row.

(11-02-2024, 03:53 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  I haven't documented this, but was the first time Send to All hadn't used a iPhone? My Samsung/Android can't do it, so that would make sense. The last two weeks have used WhatsApp rather than the messaging app for the first time I think as well.
No there was one in the last series that was an Android and there was a lot of faffing around trying to get it working on the screen, which they left in.

I'm surprised they've used text messages as long as they have, WhatsApp seems to be the default way to message these days. We were wondering how you actually 'send to all' on WhatsApp, mind you I don't know how to do it with a text either

I didn't notice the reference to her phone at the time, but just watched it back and yes that is odd. I hadn't realised her connection to the brand until it was mentioned here.

What is almost as bad is Michael's almost bafflement that she didn't have an iPhone. There was no need for any brand to be mentioned in the first place. They seem to have got away with not saying iPhone in the 5 series they've had even though we all know that almost every celebrity they've featured has one
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • chaose, RhysJR, TJTSW

Incidently there was some press about the programme when someone realised that they're not filmed in sequence (which was fairly obvious)

Last night was a good example... James Blunt was in it for about 2 minutes which seemed a bit of a waste. Then I remembered he'd been the musical act a few weeks ago. So presumably tonight's 'Unexpected Star' was shot the same evening as his performance.

I wonder what sort of mishmash of items the theatre audience actually sees in an evening

(11-02-2024, 09:07 AM)Joe Wrote:  I thought exactly the same - it seemed really odd. She clearly only threw the phone to demonstrate it’s durability and there’s surely no way she broke her phone screen five days in a row.

I did find it a bit of a strange sequence looking back. When he got her to mention it was a Google Pixel, I thought that would have led to quick bit of ribbing about the advert she’s did

But it didn’t, it led to a sequence promoting the benefits of a Google Pixel. Apple might not be happy at the suggestion that iPhones break easily, as I’m sure they are more durable than they once were.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • thePineapple

(11-02-2024, 09:40 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Incidently there was some press about the programme when someone realised that they're not filmed in sequence (which was fairly obvious)

Last night was a good example... James Blunt was in it for about 2 minutes which seemed a bit of a waste. Then I remembered he'd been the musical act a few weeks ago. So presumably tonight's 'Unexpected Star' was shot the same evening as his performance.

I wonder what sort of mishmash of items the theatre audience actually sees in an evening

The cut from the end of Send to All to introducing that was pretty brutal too.

(11-02-2024, 10:44 AM)Andrew Wrote:  I did find it a bit of a strange sequence looking back. When he got her to mention it was a Google Pixel, I thought that would have led to quick bit of ribbing about the advert she’s did

But it didn’t, it led to a sequence promoting the benefits of a Google Pixel. Apple might not be happy at the suggestion that iPhones break easily, as I’m sure they are more durable than they once were.
There was an obvious tricky edit just after she mentioned it so there was something they had to remove. Which makes me think that the sequence had been legalled and stuff removed already.

Apple might not be happy, but then again maybe the other phone makers aren't that happy with 6 series of prime time TV demos of iPhones?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • chaose

I took Michael's initial look of confusion and question to be more like "What's this thing and why aren't you 'normal' (ie. owning an iPhone like everyone else)?".

Initially seemed like a slight against Pixels, forcing her to give some justification for owning a 'lesser' phone. He went on to mention a non-iPhone being a first for the show or something.

Anyway, last week he made a joke about Anne-Marie's wallpaper being 'Sam's son' and referencing Samsung and iPhones.

As for previous series, I vaguely recall a phone disconnecting constantly from the theatre screen. I think they were using some wireless screensharing thing (possibly Samsung) and it coming across really badly for the brand.