Central To Carlton

Well this is turn up for the books, I never know they promoted the name changed from central to Carlton, I wonder if Westcountry got one aswell?

tvark.org 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • WillPS

(11-02-2024, 12:00 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Well this is turn up for the books, I never know they promoted the name changed from central to Carlton, I wonder if Westcountry got one aswell?

tvark.org 
Is the CA booth footage there from London, or is that footage of rehearsals using the old branding for whatever reason?

Was there perhaps a plan to transition the name from Central to Carlton using the same branding before the 1999 package came along?

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(11-02-2024, 12:00 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Well this is turn up for the books, I never know they promoted the name changed from central to Carlton, I wonder if Westcountry got one aswell?

tvark.org 

They did, it too is also available to view on TV Ark:

tvark.org 

I think there would’ve been press releases of sort at the time, but in 1999 internet usage was in its boom phase and this was pre-TV Forum. Certainly there’s no actual rebrand promos per se other than news reports advising of the change.

This is relatively old news, I’m afraid.

Central announcer Terry Pearson uploaded that short news package onto his YT channel a few years ago (flagged this up on X / Twitter some time ago) - that’s him in the continuity booth, probably doing a mock-up announcement.

And the facilities in the clip are of the Pres operation at Central Court in Birmingham.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Milkshake

(11-02-2024, 07:44 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  This is relatively old news, I’m afraid.

Central announcer Terry Pearson uploaded that short news package onto his YT channel a few years ago (flagged this up on X / Twitter some time ago) - that’s him in the continuity booth, probably doing a mock-up announcement.

And the facilities in the clip are of the Pres operation at Central Court in Birmingham.

Why were they doing mock-ups/rehearsals with a set of idents they'd never end up talking over?

chatps.com

(11-02-2024, 11:20 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Why were they doing mock-ups/rehearsals with a set of idents they'd never end up talking over?

Not sure there’s that much to read into it, to be honest.

Strikes me as purely a mock-up shot, using a spare graphic, for a news item - not much else more.

(11-02-2024, 11:34 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Not sure there’s that much to read into it, to be honest.

Strikes me as purely a mock-up shot, using a spare graphic, for a news item - not much else more.

The source of the monitor on the stack showing the Carlton logo reads ‘Pres CapGen 1’, so presumably it’s just a still of the logo, rather than an actual ident.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • lookoutwales

(11-02-2024, 11:34 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Not sure there’s that much to read into it, to be honest.

Just weird they didn't use the logo which actually launched then - unless it was done so far in advance that wasn't available/loaded in or whatever.

chatps.com

(12-02-2024, 12:50 AM)WillPS Wrote:  Just weird they didn't use the logo which actually launched then - unless it was done so far in advance that wasn't available/loaded in or whatever.

That being the case we can certainly date it after 8th March 1999, as according to TV-ark that's when LNN adopted new titles for London Today/Tonight as seen on the Carlton monitor top left of the stack and the Business Update library track replaced the custom Tom Blades soundtrack used by CNW on the same days.

So either this was recorded so far in advance in preparation for the change and held onto (because it was clear when they adopted the Carlton style idents it was going to go down that path), but I think it's more likely (given they are previewing their cap-gen) they just pulled up the Carlton logo to illustrate the point as the then new logo a) it wasn't loaded into their server yet or b) would be too much effort for a short clip used in an explainer which I think is more likely. They're outputting the respective news programmes and Trisha during those shots, rather than any live links.

Any experts on Trisha and her various set changes on the site that can date that?

The TV Ark description states it as 6th September 1999 if you’re wondering when the rebrand happened.

Central News swapped studios with CITV from the start of 2000. Central News definitely used the Carlton star in the titles from this point, but I’m unsure if it came in from the September change or when they relocated studios.