Gavin & Stacey to return again

Deadline are reporting that pre-production is underway for another special of Gabin & Stacey, after the massive success if the last one-off revival in 2019.

Personally, I thought the last one would have been a great place to end, but can understand why everyone involved would be keen for it to be revived. James Corden is now no longer busy in the US, so would be more available for projects like this back in the UK.

Presumably, another show for Christmas Day on BBC One. A big shake-up for that day's schedule with TWO new additions to last year likely, with Wallace and Gromit also set to return this Christmas. One would think that something will have to be kicked out of the schedule to fit this extra 90 minutes if content in. Call The Midwife possibly the mosg likely candidate as that is around 90 minutes in duration?

deadline.com 

I presume this will run in the same/a similar slot that Ghosts occupied the past two years. I think The Wheel will end up being the show that is dropped from Christmas Day for this year, it would really prop up Christmas Eve considering 2023's Xmas Eve schedule on BBC One was woeful, the regular Sunday night with an added Repair Shop and Beyond Paradise at 9pm, perhaps foreshadowing the movement of the parent show to Sundays this year.

(13-02-2024, 04:22 PM)ACTV Wrote:  I presume this will run in the same/a similar slot that Ghosts occupied the past two years.

I thought Wallace and Gromit would be down for that this year? (or at least replace the time earlier in the day?)

I am not sure how they fit Gavin and Stacey in without removing something like The Wheel? As the last time it was on Christmas Day, they didn't have Doctor Who either.

(13-02-2024, 04:23 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  I thought Wallace and Gromit would be down for that this year? (or at least replace the time earlier in the day?)

I am not sure how they fit Gavin and Stacey in without removing something like The Wheel? As the last time it was on Christmas Day, they didn't have Doctor Who either.

I think Wallace and Gromit could possibly fit into the post-King slot, or at least after the Disney films they tend to schedule after it this year. The latter option would be more likely and would probably pick up a bigger audience in hindsight. Gavin & Stacey I think will probably end up following Doctor Who or perhaps Call the Midwife if the new special is post-watershed.

For context, Wallace and Gromit last aired at 8:30 back in 2008 (quite the different TV landscape then) and Gavin & Stacey also at 8:30 back in 2019.

You wouldn't be surprised if W&G could air earlier (though it should be in primetime rather than around the time of The King) and G&S could a bit later.

www.bbc.co.uk 

www.bbc.co.uk 

(13-02-2024, 10:55 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  For context, Wallace and Gromit last aired at 8:30 back in 2008 (quite the different TV landscape then) and Gavin & Stacey also at 8:30 back in 2019.

You wouldn't be surprised if W&G could air earlier (though it should be in primetime rather than around the time of The King) and G&S could a bit later.

www.bbc.co.uk 

www.bbc.co.uk 

If rumours of a Downton Abbey return “before the end of the year” are true, and they launch with a Christmas special, that will throw up another issue for schedulers as the Beeb won’t want any of their big hitters competing with Downton on Christmas day.

If Ruth Jones on RTE Radio is to be believed there may be no Gavin & Stacey at all
www.bbc.co.uk 

They said that last time too. If anything it confirms it.

Also seen reports Netflix are after it but I'd be surprised if those involved took it away from the BBC.

(14-02-2024, 06:56 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  They said that last time too. If anything it confirms it.

Also seen reports Netflix are after it but I'd be surprised if those involved took it away from the BBC.

She is quite clear that nothing is set in stone, but if you watch the interview she doesn’t actually say it isn’t happening. She doesn’t even deny there’s a bidding war between Netflix and the BBC - only laughs at how ludicrous it sounds.

Reading between the lines, I think it’s highly likely they’re writing/have written a new episode and have unofficially checked in with the main cast (Ruth Jones is clear that no agents have received official offers - which is quite a specific denial) but the story as reported is still just a rumour as nothing has been commissioned, contracted or confirmed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flux's post:
  • strollfan

It’d probably be better for the BBC If they drag their feet and actually make it for Christmas 2025

With Wallace and Gromit already booked in for this year, you’d have two big hits in one year competing for attention, and then a very big challenge to try and match this for 2025