Steve Wright 1954-2024

Oh my, this is a shock. Absolutely loved his show as a kid, hadn't really listened for years but caught him just on Saturday doing Pick of the Pops and thought how good he sounded

www.bbc.co.uk 

(13-02-2024, 06:14 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Oh my, this is a shock. Absolutely loved his show as a kid, hadn't really listened for years but caught him just on Saturday doing Pick of the Pops and thought how good he sounded

www.bbc.co.uk 

An awful shock indeed. This feels like it's come out of nowhere.
[-] The following 6 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, fatal paper cut, Plutobug, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

Really shocked too.
I must say I’m really impressed with how Sara Cox is keeping her show going as the news broke whilst the news bulletin was going out. She’s just mentioned his producer has joined them for rest of her show to play Steve’s favourite songs
[-] The following 9 users Like yogibarney's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Brekkie, Plutobug, Reith85, Superman1986, SuperSajuuk, TVfan23, UTVLifer

The announcement on Radio 2 was made by newsreader, Mike Powell, mid-way during the 5pm bulletin, his voice clearly shaking.

Sara Cox came straight off the back of the bulletin, with no jingles/idents, also sounding shaken. She said they'd be playing some of his favourite songs, the first of which was Wichita Lineman by Glenn Campbell (the outro of which he used to play as a closing theme at the end of his Radio 1 afternoon show every day).

Really shocking news, very unexpected, and certainly a difficult time for everyone at Radio 2.
[-] The following 8 users Like Spencer's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Blubatt, lookoutwales, Plutobug, Superman1986, thePineapple, UTVLifer

I don’t even know what to say… I’m just speechless. Only listened to him just the other Sunday on his usual Love Songs programme - still presented that show to the very end. RIP Steve - you were taken far too soon.
[-] The following 3 users Like jlmiller's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Reith85

Very sad indeed. RIP.

Just heard Bobbie Pryor breaking down on air during her traffic bulletin - utterly heartbreaking.

“Loved the show, Steve.”
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Plutobug

This is such a shock. Steve was one of the very few DJs who really was an absolute master of the craft of radio.
[-] The following 3 users Like Omnipresent's post:

Very sad news, my thoughts are with his family and friends.
[-] The following 3 users Like Yorksman's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Toby brown

What an absolute shock. I was really hoping GHR were going to pick him up at some stage. He really will be very sorely missed. Sad
[-] The following 2 users Like Charliemanc's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990

Shocked by this news. Used to listen to his afternoon show about 20yesrs ago heading home from work. A true icon of radio broadcasting.
[-] The following 3 users Like freeview87's post: