SNP Crisis (2024 Edition)

Scottish First Minister Humza Yousaf, is to give a news conference at Bute House at midday

The schedule for BBC Scotland has updated and it will come on air and simulcast the NC between 12 and 1pm for Yousaf's statement

(29-04-2024, 11:44 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Scottish First Minister Humza Yousaf, is to give a news conference at Bute House at midday

The schedule for BBC Scotland has updated and it will come on air and simulcast the NC between 12 and 1pm for Yousaf's statement

Looking at iPlayer they came on air just before midday with what seems like a generic announcement over an old ident with the old BBC logo on it: 'Welcome to BBC Scotland where we now join BBC News for a Scottish Parliament announcement'. Presumably something hey have ready to go they've not updated
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer, what

If it just me or is the video of Yousaf speaking lagging slightly behind the audio?

As in Covid days they have an BSL interpreter in the room with him, something the UK government unfortunately still don't do
[-] The following 8 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bbctvtechop, Brekkie, DE88, interestednovice, matthieu1221, Spencer, UTVLifer, watchingtv

(29-04-2024, 12:07 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  If it just me or is the video of Yousaf speaking lagging slightly behind the audio?

The audio is slightly dodgy as well. It keeps breaking up on LBC News.
[-] The following 1 user Likes what's post:
  • UTVLifer

On the News Channel a pushback is currently being used to display info about Humza Yousaf in a slideshow mode.

For pushbacks in the UK is there a reason why the pushback text appears to be within the 4:3 safe area, and I think the images within 14:9 safe area? Presumably this pushback is just for UK viewers (especially as we've just cut to a certain Nick S in the opt-out space). Therefore could the pushback content not be moved to the right more to be within the 16:9 safe area, which would allow the main content to take up a bit more of the screen?

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

Surely would make more sense for BBC Scotland to produce coverage and the news channel opt into that. Feels like something they should interrupt BBC One Scotland for too - did they at least point people to BBC Scotland?
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:

(29-04-2024, 12:10 PM)what Wrote:  The audio is slightly dodgy as well. It keeps breaking up on LBC News.

Yes, but perfect sync on Sky News freesat service.
As it's a couple secs ahead, I'm guessing they are the pool feed source.

(29-04-2024, 12:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Surely would make more sense for BBC Scotland to produce coverage and the news channel opt into that. Feels like something they should interrupt BBC One Scotland for too - did they at least point people to BBC Scotland?
At that time on a Monday the News Channel is better resourced than BBC Scotland's News department, it's there for rolling news so why not use it rather than call people in and cobble together something from Glasgow (which of course is not where it's happening!)
[-] The following 5 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, lookoutwales, scottishtv, UTVLifer

(29-04-2024, 12:57 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  At that time on a Monday the News Channel is better resourced than BBC Scotland's News department, it's there for rolling news so why not use it rather than call people in and cobble together something from Glasgow (which of course is not where it's happening!)

I think there is maybe a bit too much expectation from some people that if and when a major Scottish political story breaks, both BBC Scotland and STV are ready to drop things at a hat and do rolling on-air coverage.

When in truth, both newsrooms are always geared far more towards set programming (and granted, the BBC will have the option to at least extend Rep Scot at 6.30pm, which I suspect they will)

NC merger business aside, it's not terribly different from how Sturgeon's resignation was dealt with.
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread