BBC Scotland cancels ‘The Nine’

I really can't see the justification for the continuation of the service, can't BBC Scotland be adequately served by opt-outs on BBC One & Two?

It just seems such an extravagance for a cash-strapped BBC to provide this dedicated service.
[-] The following 6 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, interestednovice, JJJJ, UTVLifer

Maybe they should just sack the management, its clear as day the don't have a scooby doo what there doing. 4th time lucky? I doubt it Just give people the Scottish Six and be done with it, and shut the channel down. Most nights its filled with repeats ( some are pretty good) They could easily be screened on BBC 4.

I dare say we will revert back to BBC 1 and BBC 2 Scotland and we will get a few more opt outs.

(20-02-2024, 03:42 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Sounds like another fudge to avoid the 'Scottish Six'.
I think this combined with the requirement for the channel to still have some news content is the reason why the news will be at 7pm.

In general, with the BBC News at 6 (on BBC One) most live reports appear within the first 15 minutes of the programme. It therefore should be fairly easy if the will desired for BBC One Scotland to have it's own separate hour long news bulletin at 6pm. They could easily lead with a major headline affecting Scotland, before covering other nations/national stories in a different order, so that any live reports didn't clash with the network. Reporting Scotland could then focus on the more local headlines, with perhaps even the option for a couple sub-opt-outs (as per how Cambridge Look East used to be).

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(20-02-2024, 03:54 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Maybe they should just sack the management, its clear as day the don't have a scooby doo what there doing. 4th time lucky? I doubt it Just give people the Scottish Six and be done with it, and shut the channel down. Most nights its filled with repeats ( some are pretty good) They could easily be screened on BBC 4.

I dare say we will revert back to BBC 1 and BBC 2 Scotland and we will get a few more opt outs.
You're going to destroy the "braveheartness" of Scottish politicians (while common Scots hardly care) by doing that Big Grin

(20-02-2024, 03:57 PM)Keith Wrote:  I think this combined with the requirement for the channel to still have some news content is the reason why the news will be at 7pm.

In general, with the BBC News at 6 (on BBC One) most live reports appear within the first 15 minutes of the programme. It therefore should be fairly easy if the will desired for BBC One Scotland to have it's own separate hour long news bulletin at 6pm. They could easily lead with a major headline affecting Scotland, before covering other nations/national stories in a different order, so that any live reports didn't clash with the network. Reporting Scotland could then focus on the more local headlines, with perhaps even the option for a couple sub-opt-outs (as per how Cambridge Look East used to be).
At the end of the day Scotland is part of the UK (and certainly has more in common with the rest of us than Northern Ireland) so the flagship UK bulletin should be broadcast there. The fact that the BBC aren’t willing to stand up to the SNP and tell them that Scottish licence payers are paying for exactly the same service as the rest of us and therefore will receive exactly the same amount of local content is the only reason for BBC Scotland existing.
[-] The following 5 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • bkman1990, BN88, Bungo Bill, interestednovice, JJJJ

Truly the programme was always doomed to fail at 9pm. The one hour of the day when TV across the schedules is at their strongest means there's no way you can expect even the most loyal audience to tune it at 9 every night like they do at 6 and 10. Arguably it's hurt BBC Scotland as a channel itself. The slot they could have used to their advantage to showcase their variety of genres to an audience flicking through the EPG was constantly lumbered with news.

I'll never understand why they persisted with 9pm and didn't try another slot much sooner.

I wonder if this will be the end of its separate studio and they'll do an ITV London on the Reporting Scotland set? That separate set must be a substantial cost when they've got an unused standing set in the same building.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gottago's post:
  • Stuart

(20-02-2024, 04:01 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  At the end of the day Scotland is part of the UK (and certainly has more in common with the rest of us than Northern Ireland) so the flagship UK bulletin should be broadcast there. The fact that the BBC aren’t willing to stand up to the SNP and tell them that Scottish licence payers are paying for exactly the same service as the rest of us and therefore will receive exactly the same amount of local content is the only reason for BBC Scotland existing.

It's not longer the flagship it once was. Yes Scotland is part of the UK, however when the top story is NHS, Education etc it has No uses to anyone in Scotland.

BBC can't stand up to SNP or anyone in Scotland because of the utter dismissal and disgraceful manner over the 2014 Ref, The amount of distrust between them is growing by the day. Did the Beep really think this new channel would help build bridges? especial when no one wanted it.

The BBC should be providing a news service that is useful to everyone, and not a box ticking Exercise, and if people really want this, then tough it what people should get, BBC is here for the public and not for its self interests.
[-] The following 3 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • bkman1990, kookaburra, WhisperOfCinnamon

(20-02-2024, 04:15 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  It's not longer the flagship it once was. Yes Scotland is part of the UK, however when the top story is NHS, Education etc it has No uses to anyone in Scotland.
When the BBC News at One becomes a full hour I wonder if the nation/regions opt-out will still be at 1.30pm. If so there's the potential to allow nations to have a full half-hour bulletin, whilst the English regions re-join the national news at around 1.45pm. This might then help the BBC with any political backlash against the news content being reduced on BBC Scotland, as well as providing additional news that is relevant to the nations.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • bkman1990, Milkshake, Plutobug

(20-02-2024, 04:33 PM)Keith Wrote:  When the BBC News at One becomes a full hour I wonder if the nation/regions opt-out will still be at 1.30pm. If so there's the potential to allow nations to have a full half-hour bulletin, whilst the English regions re-join the national news at around 1.45pm. This might then help the BBC with any political backlash against the news content being reduced on BBC Scotland, as well as providing additional news that is relevant to the nations.

That could be very helpful on Wednesday and Thursday when Scottish parliament is siting. Of course BBC Scotland is no stranger to doing this type of thing. It used to never go back to the network once it went to Sunday Politics Scotland. We never did see that interview Alex Jones. Plus side it was actually live, a few MSP fell into that trap.

(20-02-2024, 04:38 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  That could be very helpful on Wednesday and Thursday when Scottish parliament is siting. Of course BBC Scotland is no stranger to doing this type of thing. It used to never go back to the network once it went to Sunday Politics Scotland. We never did see that interview Alex Jones. Plus side it was actually live, a few MSP fell into that trap.
Would many people actually see that though? Okay in raw number it'd probably rate better than The Nine but it'd still very much be box ticking.

It's a shame, I feel The Nine is a good programme and possibly an example of how BBC News should be presented more generally but it's been given a 5-year run and has failed to make a substantial impact so it's hard to argue that the Beeb hasn't given it a good go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sigma421's post:
  • Jeff