BBC Scotland cancels ‘The Nine’

(21-02-2024, 07:31 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Yes they still do news bulletin opt outs during breakfast and drivetime. Only Orkney and Shetland appear as seperate streams on Sounds I think the others are clipped and put on the BBC website somewhere

If you go to the BBC section of Frequency Finder, you'll find a list with each frequency's opt-out area.

www.frequencyfinder.org.uk 

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BBI45's post:
  • interestednovice

(21-02-2024, 08:57 AM)thegeek Wrote:  An Là uses a gallery in Glasgow - they've been doing remote production since before it was fashionable.
Not any more. I fact they gave up doing it that way just before it became fashionable Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, London Lite, thePineapple

Personally, it was a missed opportunity when they didn't simulcast or replay 'The Nine' on the BBC News channel, plus 'The Edit' would've also been an ideal fit for BBC Three, both would have wide UK reach.
[-] The following 5 users Like JamieMurph25's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, LondonViewer, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(21-02-2024, 12:37 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Historically, there were some local opt-outs for mainland Scotland too (i.e. Radio Highland, Radio Aberdeen, Radio Tweed) which around the early 90s were parred back to just local news bulletins - there were six regions, IIRC - at breakfast, lunch and Drivetime.

I'm not whether those regions still do news opts - but Radio Orkney and Radio Shetland do at least three opts a day (a half-hour news programme, an hour-long evening show and a shared lunchtime bulletin)

By the same token, Radio Wales ran similar opt-out bulletins for the North East area previously served by Radio Clwyd until 2002 - think it was only around that time that the opt to carry Wrexham's games was established.

The ill-fated Independently Funded News Consortia (IFNC) pilot that never was.

The trouble is for its good intentions - bumping up the number of local opts to six etc (even though another consortium was lined up to take over the then-Tyne Tees and Border region) - people were quick to point out it was a handy way to ditch the existing STV North service.

AFAIK, the most we saw of the 'pilot' was actually an elongated promo fronted by John MacKay.

www.heraldscotland.com 

In the event, STV lost the contract - likewise ITV Wales were due to lose out to a UTV-led group - but the change in government that year killed the pilot dead with the incoming Tories favouring local TV instead (and as we know, STV had its hands burnt again when they tried the 'Scottish Seven')*

* cues Halla Mohieddeen walking off and throwing her script away

www.theguardian.com 

There are separate radio news opt outs for Highlands and Islands, North East Scotland, Borders, Dumfries and Galloway. I used to catch up the Highlands update on Soundcloud but now you can only get shorter bulletins on BBC Sounds

[-] The following 2 users Like Plutobug's post:
  • interestednovice, lookoutwales

The Nine was replaced tonight with a documentary about the murder of Emma Caldwell.

(28-02-2024, 11:43 PM)London Lite Wrote:  The Nine was replaced tonight with a documentary about the murder of Emma Caldwell.

As a result, The Seven was an hour-long tonight - the first 20 minutes or so covering the Caldwell sentencing.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • London Lite

Do we know how Scottish content rates on BBC Scotland compared to one BBC 1 Scotland? Do flagship programmes, like this documentary, usually end up getting repeated on BBC1 Scotland?

(29-02-2024, 12:05 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Do we know how Scottish content rates on BBC Scotland compared to one BBC 1 Scotland? Do flagship programmes, like this documentary, usually end up getting repeated on BBC1 Scotland?

This documentary is being shown on network right now in the post Newsnight slot.

www.bbc.co.uk 

Looking at other content, River City airs on BBC One Scotland the day after it premieres on BBC Scotland. Other programmes, such as Martin Compston's Norwegian Fling, airs on BBC Scotland ahead of a transmission on network (in this case on Thursdays ahead of being on BBC Two on Fridays).

PS Is there any reason that there is a block of programmes on Monday afternoons but not any other afternoon (except news or sport)?
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie

Normally, the Caldwell documentary would probably have been guaranteed a peak-time showing on BBC1 Scotland - but they've been locked into FA Cup football both tonight and last night.

The post-Ten schedule's already taken up by Sportscene and repeats of Debate Night and (the soon-to-be-axed) The Edit - both of which, one presumes, would nominally rate higher than their first screenings on the Scotland channel.

Hardly ideal timing for the 'Disclosure' special, but considering how high the story ranked in the news agenda today, giving the Caldwell doc at least a network airing seems sensible enough.

(29-02-2024, 12:21 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  This documentary is being shown on network right now in the post Newsnight slot.

www.bbc.co.uk 

Looking at other content, River City airs on BBC One Scotland the day after it premieres on BBC Scotland. Other programmes, such as Martin Compston's Norwegian Fling, airs on BBC Scotland ahead of a transmission on network (in this case on Thursdays ahead of being on BBC Two on Fridays).

I think there are a few programmes that were previously BBC Scotland (channel) only that now get a repeat on BBC1 Scotland, which tells its own story. Scotland’s Home of the Year and Inside Central Station off the top of my head. In fact, it looks like Inside Central Station now has its first airing on BBC1 Scotland despite being one of the major launch programmes on the BBC Scotland channel.

I guess on a channel full of repeats, it’s hard for new content to stand out. Which is problematic! And if The Nine goes, it arguably doesn’t have much of a raison d’etre left

(29-02-2024, 12:21 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  PS Is there any reason that there is a block of programmes on Monday afternoons but not any other afternoon (except news or sport)?
www.bbc.co.uk 

Appears to be with sign language from the ‘SL’ on one of the programme pages?
[-] The following 1 user Likes LargelyALurker's post:
  • RhysJR