The state of BBC Consumer programmes

Martin Lewis won a award yesterday and made a rather powerful speech. He praised ITV for given over enough airtime to cover the topics he's on about ( to be fair I dare say that its all linked to licence)

However it was his comment about the BBC and its downgraded Consumer affairs as a concession. I think this is the first time in BBC has been given telling off for its offering since the 2019 offering?

It was covered on the blue place at the time: www.tvforum.co.uk 

Martin has proved that Social media is no match for his type of operation, and this is the type of broadcast telly is badly need and should expanded.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, UTVLifer

I like Martin but Watchdog is such old hat nowadays that the BBC aren't going to bring it back.

Also, do we really need something like Watchdog when the BBC has both The One Show and Morning Live?

Not the BBC but I am a fan of Alexis Conran's Channel 5 consumer shows which I think gives good coverage to scams and also consumer issues like loyalty cars.

The BBC's telly people could learn a thing or two from their radio colleagues at You and Yours, and Moneybox.

Moneybox in particular tends to punch well above it's weight in terms of investigating personal finance issues and holding to account the govt (DWP), banks and others.

That said, Radio 4 on Saturday lunchtime might not be the first place those who need help with money matters would think to look/listen. Martin has done well by making a show with more mainstream appeal on ITV.
[-] The following 4 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, Milkshake, watchingtv

I don't think we need to replace entertainment programmes with more consumer programming.

(01-03-2024, 05:50 PM)XIII Wrote:  I like Martin but Watchdog is such old hat nowadays that the BBC aren't going to bring it back.

Also, do we really need something like Watchdog when the BBC has both The One Show and Morning Live?

Not the BBC but I am a fan of Alexis Conran's Channel 5 consumer shows which I think gives good coverage to scams and also consumer issues like loyalty cars.
Watchdog isn't a standalone programme any more but it's not gone. It actually became a feature on The One Show! Morning Live actually doesn't tend to do Watchdog style stuff - that's the job of one of the other shows that airs in that timeslot, Rip-Off Britain.